Chapter 22

Your POV

Johnny and I spent the next week in East Tulsa living out the first few days of July and the last few days of June.

But Johnny said he always celebrated the 4th of July with the gang so we should head back.

It was the second but he always helps decorate on the 3rd.

So I was chilling by myself walking through downtown Tulsa and my knee was feeling a lot better than before. But I felt someone grab me and pull me over. "What the-" I was cut off by getting punched in the face. "What the hell?" I asked.

The guy pulled out a blade and cut a huge line up my arm. I just got the stitches out of my face. I don't need more.

"Wait what?" I asked.

"Do you know what you're doing?" I asked.

He kept going.

He's dead.

I kicked him in the groin and he stumbled a bit. I knew it was dirty, but this was already an unfair fight.

I hit my elbow on his head and he was a strong fighter, I couldn't deny that. He bashed my lip and probably broke one of my ribs.

But I kept going.

I felt a rib break and he let out a yelp of pain.

But after about 10 minutes of fighting and fighting we were getting weaker and weaker. I finally heard sirens and he gave up and collapsed.

"Put your hands up!" A cop yelled. "Oh God. What did you do?" He asked.

Shit.

He knows me.

"I really don't know. I know it's bad but he started it. I would never start a fight with a fractured knee. I swear. I'm sure he could tell you." I said crossing my arms.

"He's passed out. Get them both to a hospital and we'll go from there." I walked into the back of the ambulance and sat on a chair clutching my stomach.

He really did good because I felt sick to my stomach. I must have fallen asleep or passed out or something because next thing I knew I was laying in a hospital bed. I sat up and I had bandages on the side of my stomach, a stitch in my lip, my knee was still in a splint, and I had something wrapped around my arm.

"What..." I mumbled. The sun looked like it just rose.

"Look, I'm sorry about that." I heard someone say. I looked next to me. It was the guy who beat me up. He was in another bed on the other side of the room. "I didn't want to. I hate being called weak and someone told me to do it and then when I said no he called me weak and said I couldn't do it. I'm sorry."

I looked around almost confused of what was still going on. "You broke your rib if you were wondering."

"Wait, someone told you to do it?"

"Yes. He said you weren't a good fighter and I could easily take you down."

"Who told you?" I asked sitting up.

"I-I don't know if I should say."

"Who told you?" I asked again but this time I stood up and walked over to him.

"Ponyboy! Ponyboy Curtis. I promise. Please don't hurt me." He said covering his face.

"Ponyboy Curtis?" I asked. He nodded.

I swear to God, he won't live to see the sunrise tomorrow.

Ponyboy's POV

It was the 4th of July and we were all hanging out. Johnny and Dallas were arguing about the TV, Darry was cooking hot dogs, Steve and Soda were making food. And for Two-Bit, he was trying to help Steve and Soda but he just kept eating it all.