Chapter 26

Your POV

Johnny, of course, asked if I wanted to go with him and I obviously said yes. But I got a red dress this time. It wasn't super flowy like most girls but it wasn't tight.

I actually kinda liked it.

I also bought white heels to go with it. I'm not one for heels but I was determined to look as best as I could.

I got ready at my house by myself and I was just gonna meet everyone at the Curtis'. Sodapop talked about crashing but I wasn't sure if he was being serious. Or more importantly, Darry would let him.

But I was curling my hair and it was weird to see it all done up like this. I haven't seen it out of a high frizzy ponytail in a while.

Actually, it almost felt nice.

If only I wasn't so paranoid about everyone. I'd leave it down more.

I put my makeup on next. It wasn't much but it was simple. Mascara, blush, concealer. I know some girls who go all out, but the most I put on was eyeshadow.

I was about to walk out the door and take my dads car to the Curtis', but Lizzie walked in the door.

I groaned. "Not happy to see me?" She asked.

I ignored the question. "Can I help you?"

"Why are you all dressed up?"

"The dance is tonight." I said. "Ugh. I hated school. What's the theme this year?" She asked rudely.

"King and queen." Her mouth dropped.

"The year after I dropped out?" She snapped. I nodded.

She was a smart girl. I'm not sure why she dropped. I guess just no motivation to go anymore. I mean, I wanna drop out but I'm dumb.

Lizzie's pretty and smart. She has a boyfriend, too, I think. "I'm gonna win it tonight."

She laughed. "You?" I nodded.

"Alright. Call me when you do."

I can't stand her.

She's the reason I want this damn thing.

I wouldn't give a fuck if it weren't for her.

She's always been better than me,as much as I hate to admit it. All her awards are on a shelf in her bedroom. At least they were the last time I was over there, which was 4 years ago.

Her mom won the crown when she was a senior at Will Rogers which is why Lizzie always wanted to win it.

Her mom is drop dead gorgeous and she's in her 40's now. She's a lot prettier than my mom which is probably why my dad likes her. But she always wore it around saying she's the queen and I was the peasant.

I hate her ego.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"My mom took my inhaler. Did she leave it here?" I shrugged.

"Look around. Next time, knock first."

"Like you care anyways." I rolled my eyes and grabbed the keys.

I got in the car and I was positive I was gonna win this. I just wanna gloat in front of Lizzie and her stuck up mother. But I got there and I locked the car door.

I went inside and threw the keys on the table. "Alright let's go. Hurry up and get this night over with."

"Woah!" Ponyboy said.

"You're dressed up!" He said.

"Yep. Surpise I know." I said with a grin. Soda was in a suit and he was acting skeptical.

"Soda!" Darry yelled. "You cannot go to the school. You don't attend there."

"I feel left out." He said crossing his arms. I laughed. "I'm going to the dance." He mouthed.

Darry was driving us all because his cars the biggest. We all got into the car. Steve and Two-Bit got in the front, Ponyboy and Dallas got in the back, and Johnny and I got in the trunk. Sodapop snuck in the trunk with us.

"Didn't Darry say no." Johnny asked.

"I don't wanna feel left out." He said crouched down.

I laughed. "So who's got dates tonight?" I asked. "Well, there's you and I, Steve's going with Hayley-" I cut him off.

"Who's Hayley?" I asked.

"Oh. You aren't at our house that much. But Hayley is Steve's girlfriend."

"He's got a girlfriend?"

Soda nodded. "I want a girlfriend." Soda pouted. Johnny and I laughed.

"I also think Two-Bit has three dates. All blondes." I raised an eyebrow. "He couldn't chose so he asked all of them."

"Do they know that?"

He nodded. "He asked all three of them at the same time."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Dallas will probably find someone to hook up with by the end of the night." We laughed.

"And you're all alone." I said with a pouty face.

"I hate being single."

"Didn't your ex cheat on you? Sandy, right? And get pregnant?" He nodded.

"I can't believe I ever liked her." Soda said with an eye roll.

"I'd be furious if someone did that to me." I muttered. "How awful do you have to be to do something like that?"

1973

I couldn't help but laugh. "I'm such a hypocrit." I said. "It's not funny, but I mean..."

"Wait so did this all happen that night?" Emma asked.

I shook my head. "No... everything went down hill about a week later."

"After that whole conversation in the back of the car, I was surprised when I found out about your situation." Sodapop said to me. "But I didn't know till like a month later because I'm clueless." Sodapop said.

I grinned. "Did you ever find out who Sandy's kids dad is?" I asked.

Soda shook his head. "I'm glad, though. I'd rather not know. He probably lives in Tulsa and what if it was someone I knew?"

"Hey, Johnny. How'd you find out it was Dallas'?"

Everyone was quiet.

I just sat there awkwardly.

"I told him." I finally said laughing.

"Really?" Hayley asked.

"I was drinking the day before so I was hungover." I said.

"Ohh." Hayley said dragging on.

"Alright. Continue." Hayley said. "I wanna hear the rest of this by chapter 27."

"Chapter?" I asked.

"Y'know. The fanfic we're in?" We all stared at her.

"I knew it!" Two-Bit shouted.

"I'm majorly confused. But ok. Back to the story."

here's the dress / shoes :)