Chapter 24

Your POV - 1964

The day went on and I already had a detention. I was talking back to the most annoying teacher of all time and she gave me a twenty minute one!

She's a slut, just like my mom.

Rumor has it that every kid she has is from a different guy... and she has 4 kids.

But my detention work for today is to help clean the theater. They had a show during the summer and I have to clean out the stage props.

I was working on moving this stair case and I heard this noise. It sounded how an elevator sounded when when it's falling.

Lucky for me, I looked up.

The lights were falling.

I squealed and moved under the stair case. They hit the stairs and I heard my teacher, Ms. Jurvey, start yelling.

"WHAT HAPPENED?"

"I don't know. I was moving the stairs and they started falling.

"THAT'S IT! Detention for the rest of the month!" She screamed.

"I didn't do anything! It wasn't my fault!"

"Do you know how expensive those lights are?" She scolded.

"I HATE THIS SCHOOL!" I yelled bolting out of the auditorium.

I wasn't going back.

But as I was walking out, I noticed Ponyboy's book next to the rope.

HE TRIED TO KILL ME AND THEN I GOT BLAMED!

I SWEAR TO GOD!

I walked over to his house and I didn't think anyone would be there. But I need to talk to Ponyboy.

I opened the door and he was sitting at the table doing homework. "Johnny's not here."

"I'm not here for Johnny. I wanna talk to you." I walked over to the table and sat down. I threw my stuff on the floor and looked him in the eye. "What did I do to you?" I asked boldly.

"Huh?" He asked.

"What did I do to you? Why are you doing this to me?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." He said.

"I saw your book by the ropes. I know you dropped the lights." I said. He stayed silent. "What did I do to you? Why are you doing this? First Tim and then the lights? I can't go through this for the rest of school. I already have to deal with enough shit. I can't keep going like this."

I paused. "So as much as I hate to say this, I'm sorry. For whatever I did. For whatever happened. Whatever I did to make you hate me so much. That's all I wanted to say." I stood up and grabbed my stuff and slammed the door.

I really hope he'll be done with this soon.

Ponyboy's POV

Well that was unexpected...

I almost felt bad.

Actually, not almost.

I did feel bad.

Uh oh.

How do I fix this?

Shit shit shit!

I sat there dumbfounded.

She reminded me of Dallas. Dallas would never apologize for anything. No matter how bad he messed up.

But in this case, I just gave her a reason to leave.