Chapter 27

Your POV - 1965

We got to the school and Soda jumped out and hid behind a bush so Darry wouldn't see him. "You all know the rules. Nothing illegal." Darry looked at me and Dallas.

I put my hands up and Dallas rolled his eyes. "I'm winning the crown, then I'm leaving."

"Why do you wanna win so bad?" Ponyboy asked.

"Long story." I wasn't in the mood to tell them about the stuck up queen, Lizzie.

"Well there's gotta be a reason." Darry said.

"Don't you have a girl to get back to?" I asked.

He rolled his eyes. "In an hour." I heard Soda groan in the bush. And I couldn't help but grin. "Well, have fun." Darry said.

We all started walking and Soda got in front of us so Darry didn't see. "Wait, Johnny. Come here for a second." I followed him too as Darry called him over. "I know that Soda snuck in through the trunk. Make sure he doesn't get in trouble. Ok?" Darry asked.

We laughed. "Alright." We walked inside and I always hated the dancing part.

So I hung out by the food tables. As per usual.

I saw the assistant principal looking at the piece of paper handed to her by the principal.

I knew what it was.

She whispered into his ear and pulled him into the hallway. "I'll be right back." I said finishing the cookie.

I walked into the hallway and they were around the corner.

"Are you sure these are the right?" She asked. "It's what the votes said." He continued.

"I just find it hard to believe."

"I counted three times. Just like I do every year we have this. I even counted an additional two times. It was close." He said.

How could it have been close? I changed almost every vote?

Those damn pen votes.

I rolled my eyes and walked behind them. "Excuse me." I asked.

"Yes?" They both asked turning towards me. It seemed rude.

"I have a quick question," I said being as nice as possible, "My friend, Lizzie, she used to go here, but she dropped out this year, she dropped me off on Monday and she can't find her inhaler. I'm trying to help her find it and we couldn't find it anywhere. Did you by any chance have anyone turn one in or did anyone see one?"

They both seemed shocked at how polite I was being. "Umm... no. I'm sorry. We I didn't get anything." The principal said.

The assistant principal spoke up. "Me neither. I'm sorry."

"It's ok. We've been searching for a while and I feel horrible becuase someone probably ran it over and it's my fault for asking her and it costs kinda a lot for a new one. Her asthma is really bad so we need to find it before she has another attack."

Her attacks weren't actually that often but it was still good to carry around, I guess.

They both nodded. "I'm sorry." The assistant principal started, "I didn't get anything. If I find it, I'll let you know." She said.

"Thank you. Sorry to bother you guys." I said with a smile.

I turned around the corner and opened the gym door to make it seem like I went back in the gym. "Maybe the votes are right." The assistant principal said. "She just seemed a lot nicer then. I don't know."