Chapter 21

Your POV - 1965

We didn't really watch TV. We just had it playing in the background while we ate food and talked.

Finally, the sun was about to rise. "Jeez. It's almost 7 in the morning." I said.

"Dang. It felt like just an hour ago Brent ran off."

"Yeah. I hope he's ok." I said. I laughed. "No I don't."

"So what happened between you guys anyway? I know you guys were friends but why not anymore?"

"It's a long story." I said.

"Well, when can we leave the house?"

"Well, on a Saturday maybe 10?"

"So we have three more hours."

I sighed. "I'd rather tell you about my parents." I mumbled.

"I'll hear that too." I rolled my eyes.

We did just get to know each other and talk for 10 hours straight.

"Ok. If I tell you ANY detail at all, you have to swear on your life you won't tell anyone. Ok?" He nodded. "Alright."

I sighed. "Ok. So here's a bit about my parents. They met each other at work and soon they became business partners and they got married. It was really sudden and they just got eloped. But after a few months, they realized they were not right for each other. They were constantly on trips and never spent time together and I think they both just realized they wanted something that wasn't marriage. They just wanted... ya know." I said getting awkward.

"So that's how I came to be. My mom got furious and she kicked my dad out constantly. She filed for divorce but he won't sign. I didn't really know why until recently. He hates her just as much as she hates him. But they will lose a lot of money and they're jobs if they get divorced. Which means they both lose. And then they have to figure out who I went with and I know they don't wanna have that conversation." I said with an eye roll.

"So growing up, I can't buy a house yet, I can't leave, so I'm stuck here. I go to downtown Tulsa when they're home because it just ends bad when I'm with them. But it's alright I guess because they're gone most of the time anyway. But right now, my mom is pregnant with some other guys baby and I'm forced to help her hide it because my dad can't find out. Otherwise they both go bankrupt and everything fails. And I'm also hiding my dads girlfriends pregnancy right now too. They're normally pretty careful but they slipped up this time. He's actually paying me to do it, which I'm kinda surprised about that, but I'd do it for free either way." I said.

I took a quick breath. "So what's the worst thing they've ever done to you?"

Pay Brent to rape me.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring that up though.

I laughed. "I've been through hell and back with my parents. But to be honest, I thought they were gonna kill me when I popped my knee socket, because I could not move and my dad had a knife." I said.

I faked a laugh but he was staring at me like I was crazy. "Ok. My parents are bad, but yours are... horrible." He said.

"It's ok. I'll be 18 in two years and I've been saving up like crazy. But I think I'm just gonna buy my own car and hang in there most of the time. I don't know yet. But I'm so close." I said.

"Lucky. My parents take my money."

"Well, my parents would to but they don't know I keep it all in a pocket in my jackets in the back of my closet. They don't care about that."