Chapter 19

Your POV - 1965

I finished my day like I spend every other day.

Alone.

But at this point I don't really care.

I went back home and my dad was arguing with my mom.

What a surprise.

I walked past them but I was quickly stopped. "Get out!" She yelled.

"No." I replied.

I already regretted that, but I continued walking up the stairs.

My dad grabbed my hair and pulled me down.

I fell down the stairs and hit my head. I groaned.

"Who do you think you're talking to?" He asked.

"Nobody important." I replied keeping my snarky attitude.

He grabbed a knife from the kitchen and started at me. I ran to the door but it was locked. My mom just sat there and continued to drink her beer.

I ran around the kitchen and it was game over for me when I spilled her beer.

She grabbed the mirror on the wall and hurled it at me. It shattered and I tried to hide behind the couch, but it hit my foot. I let out a yell of pain and I looked at it. Glass was stuck in my foot and it hurt like hell.

I looked at it for a second and I hate myself for it.

I was caught off guard and my dad cut my entire cheek up to the bottom of my eye with his knife.

That hurt even more.

Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry.

I repeated that to myself about a dozen times. He hit me until I couldn't take it anymore.

But then something else happened. I ran upstairs unsure of what to do next and my dad quickly followed me.

I ran into my bedroom and tried to push my bed against the door so that I could climb out my window but it didn't work.

He grabbed my wrist and I felt it crush.

Not break, but crush.

He pushed me against the railing and I fell backwards.

I fell off the side and I hit the banister towards the bottom of the stairs. My knee hit the bottom railing and I fell on the table next to it.

I broke a leg on the table and it crashed causing me to fall off the table onto the floor. I let out a scream.

"What the hell!" Mom yelled.

"I need her gone!" Dad continued.

It took all that was left of me to run out of the house. There's a huge forest behind our house that leads to the outskirts of Tulsa and then to east Tulsa.

Nobody comes this far east unless you're crazy.

But I stopped at a tree and I felt the blood dripping down my face.

I held in my tears no matter how much pain I was in and I curled my legs to my chest and sat there.

Johnny's POV

"Why are we this far east?" Darry asked.

"East Tulsa is a lot more fun for games. We're looking to have fun, right?" Dallas continued.

"Not dangerous fun, though." Darry replied.

"We'll stay in the woods. Nothing bad can happen there, right?"