Thirty-seven

MinHyun

I unknowingly smiled to myself and feel the sides of my cheek rising, I can't believe that I said that to someone, to a girl that I have started to spend a lot of time with. I can't believe that I asked Bae Yeongwon to be my girlfriend, that wasn't part of my mind when I first met her, I was only interested in wanting to know more about her when I first heard her holding her daily radio show at the school garden.

I didn't know that I would like her that much but as I spent more and more time with her and she allowed me to be inside her world, I began to wonder why such an amazing girl like her is being hated by everyone in the school. Just because she had different eye colours, it doesn't mean that she is a freak, it is just a defect and it doesn't affect her at all in any way but the haters are treating it as a tumour and they get disgusted by it when they have nothing unique about themselves at all.

But I don't care about them, they are just insecure about their dull life and make fun of someone who is incredibly unique and she is my girlfriend now. Bae Yeongwon agreed to be my girlfriend and we are going out as a couple from today onwards and I am so excited, it is like a dream come true for the both of us.

I walked in through the doors of my best friend's house and I shut the doors only to see him right behind me and he is crossing his arms at me. "What is with that humming? What did you do today? Why did you come home so late?" Ong Seongwoo interrogated me like I am some criminal and I feel so threatened right now, is he even my friend or is he a middle-aged man?

"Ahjusshi, I am 19 years old and I am of age to do whatever I want to do. You are just my friend who is kind enough to allow me to stay with you, you are my father so stop pretending to be my father, Mr Ong Seongwoo?" I told him and I walked past him to get to the refrigerator, I grabbed a chilled bottle of mineral water and closed the door of the refrigerator.

I sat down on the couch and he comes to me, taking a seat next to me. "But where did you seriously go to after school has ended? I didn't see you at all."

"I went somewhere, you don't need to know everything about my life. And I don't know anything about your life as well so that is fair that we don't give a damn about each other's lives?" I asked him but he looked at me with those puppy eyes and I can't stop but softening for him and I hate myself for doing that. "Fine, I went to the movies with Bae Yeongwon and we decided to see each other now. Today is our first day as a couple."

He had this shocked expression on his face and it took him a few seconds to change to the next facial expression, he screamed at the top of the lungs and I covered his mouth with my hands to shut him up. "The neighbours are going to knock on the door and make a complaint against you for making too much noise at this timing."

"But it is something that I have not expected to hear at all, how did that even happen? Who liked who first? Tell me everything!" He is practically a kid, behaving as if his beloved father - which is me- who just bought him the toy that he has always wanted - and in this case, it is my love life - and he wanted to thank me for it and explain everything to him from the start to the end.

And so I did, it took more a little over 2 minutes to explain why I even liked Bae Yeongwon and he looked at me with a weird facial expression on his face. "Is that all? I need more information to know if you guys are meant to be, if you guys are going to be together for a long time, there must be more things that you have in common with each other to be able to maintain the relationship for a long time.

"I just love to listen to her speak, that is the only thing that I wanted and I feel happy already," I told him but he wasn't impressed. "Sometimes, it is not because a girl is gorgeous and beautiful or she has a good personality, or she has a dream that she wants to pursue. Bae Yeongwon has all of them and that is why I liked her, and because she has a voice that could make me listen to her for hours and hours.

"You are lame, Hwang Minhyun." Ong Seongwoo said to me. "I don't understand love and I never will." He whipped out his phone and began scrolling and typing at the same time. "You want anything for dinner? I am ordering it and it is on me."

"Wait a minute..." I send him a text and he grabs my collar as soon as he sees the message. "Don't be so shocked, I will pay for half the amount if you don't have enough money."

He rolls his eyes. "Oh, I forgot that you are so filthy rich and here you are, renting a room for me because your beloved papa kicked out of the house."

"Don't mention that trashbin, he doesn't deserve to be called my father when he doesn't even try to get me back into his family register," I told him.

"About that, he did come over earlier to tell me that he wants you back in the family." I stopped looking at my phone and I stared at him, waiting for him to continue with he is trying to tell me about. "He and your stepmother are getting a divorce, he only gave me a letter and told me to give it to you when you get home. I will go get the letter to you and order everything that you want, including the alcohol as well."