Chapter 1 - An Introduction

Charlotte's POV
April 27th

When you leave one country for another you know your life will never be the same again, no matter the spoken language, the reasons for leaving or if you will go back one day. One thing known by the very few that get close enough to know me is that I will never go back 'home' simply because you cannot call the place you left 6 years ago home.

For me, the place I was currently calling home was Pike Place Market, but it wasn't home. Home was where my future would be and as much as I adored my best friend I couldn't live with her forever. It has been argued my many romantics in this world, not that I'm a romantic really, that home is more commonly a person or even yourself.

Being my own home has been my reality since I came to America from London. The reason? Fate and choice many would say or maybe even destiny.

My job, for example, a mixture of fate and choice.

I chose, kind of, to go to Washington State University, Portland campus but was given English Literature as my degree although I did choose to study Science of Spoken Language at undergraduate. WSU mainly chosen due it being the state with the least amount of direct flights back to England, but one of best choices I've made.

After graduating with honours, I was offered an internship at a publishing house in Seattle after being recommended by my professors which was fate or destiny. Their offer couldn't be rejected for a graduate, so I moved my home to the rainy city followed by my friends, Kate and Teddy.

My decision was also helped by the events that happened during my final weeks, things that can explain a lot about me such as my opinions on men.

I met them during what was not only my first week of university, but also my first in America. Quickly I was nicknamed 'English' and taken under their wings as I discovered what life would be like across the pond.

Both would come to my track meets, Teddy would take photographs while Kate made the most of my male teammates. Or we'd be out partying and sometimes even studying but eventually, I'm not sure when, they became my family and I theirs.

When I eventually fell in love with my degree and looked into what I could do in the future, I found publishing so decided then and there that was what I was going to do. But at SIP, even after 2 years of being there, I was still seen as just an assistant.

Of course when I began, I knew I was having to start at the bottom and work my way up through different departments and jobs so I could 'get a feel for everything'. However, now I was still labelled assistant or personal bitch to the ever so lovely Jack Hyde even though I had the qualifications and was paid to be a junior editor.

I knew it would take time or maybe even forever for my name to get any kind of worth here not as much as it did back in London, but it was hard. Knowing the exact jobs I could get if I named dropped my father or grandfather, not that I ever would even if I needed to.

"Order for Twell," the cashier at the café called out over the noise of the packed room. I quickly moved towards the counter grabbing my order. 1 black coffee, a Frappuccino, and a pastry for Jack of course. "Thank you," I smiled to the young lad who probably at this point knew my order and had it waiting for me when I stepped through the glass doors. The café was at the end our street so I when I arrived at the office everything was still warm, which meant one less telling off for me as I knocked on Jack's door.

He was on the phone when I entered surprisingly cheery as he pointed to his messy desk for me to try and find room to put everything down. Clearing a space labelled by a post it note that read 'not worth it', I placed his coffee and pastry down before taking my own back to my desk.