CHAPTER 1: A Brand New Start

CYDNI

Today was finally here - My eighteenth birthday! This was more than exciting for many different reasons. This meant that I could finally leave my aunt's house and escape from the hell I have been forced to endure ever since I was left in my aunt's custody.

It all started on the day I lost my parents. I was six years old and they had gotten into a fight with a bunch of werewolf rogues while they were trying to protect me. They were shredded to death - mutilated beyond recognition right in front of me. I had felt helpless.

Soon after I witnessed that horror, little did I know the nightmare wasn't over as I immediately was next left to live the rest of my childhood with my aunt Belinda and her terrible daughter, Morgan. 

My Aunt Belinda, would always make it a point to not tell others my last name so others wouldn't recognize me and give me more attention than her and Morgan. She would only use my last name to get things from the witch council or other things she could not get because she wasn't qualified enough, since she she wasn't good at her abilities.

Though no matter what, I know I will always be, Cydni Hollingsworth. The daughter of both Mildred and Edward Hollingsworth. The best Sorcerer and Witch in the universe.

Both Belinda and Morgan told me since the day I moved in that because I was the daughter of the best witch and sorcerer, I should have been able to help them that night and over time, I eventually began believing maybe they were right to some degree. In the fact that I should have tried a few things my parents taught me, yet didn't.

Morgan has always hated and despised me for being born to one of the greatest at the craft in general. My aunt, unfortunately, wasn't nearly as talented as my father (her brother) and loathed him her entire life, out of pure jealousy.

Throughout the last several years I have tried to do my best in teaching myself in secrecy and learning more without them noticing because they have warned me if ever I was caught, I would be severely punished. 

I didn't believe them at first until one day, Morgan told on me after catching me working on a spell and I was severely physically punished by my aunt for doing so.

From that day on, they have kept a close eye on me and busy by giving me a bunch of daily chores. Eventually, I just stopped because there was no time I could find in practicing anyways, so I pushed all of it aside.

During that time I lost my self-esteem and more importantly, lost my confidence in my craft.  

Later on that night, I remember while crying myself to sleep from the pain, all I could think about was how right my aunt and cousin were about me not being nearly as good as my parents were. I couldn't protect them and clearly couldn't with myself that day. 

Aside from how long it took me from that point on to try and regain my self -confidence again, I had secretly applied to the Academy for the Supernatural.

Only the greatest are able to be accepted and I was hoping I would become one of them and possibly start all over and learn as much as I could to advance in my abilities.

I don't look for pity or any type of sympathy of any kind by using my name and am not expecting that kind of treatment of course from the academy and didn't want all that kind of attention, so I used a different last name.

Then today happened. I was finally eighteen. Things looked great and I was going to finally leave this place for good -  despite the little money I had and no idea in where to go to. However, I didn't care because any place was better than here. 

The next thing I know, I was surprised to see my aunt and cousin both walk into the house with take out in their hands along with a cake that had a 'Happy Birthday' on top of it and some candles. They were also acting all happy and NOTHING like themselves at all and I knew something was wrong. 

"Happy birthday!" My aunt and cousin started singing.

"Uh, thank you?" I replied unsure I should trust them. 

"I know we have never really done anything for your birthday before and it took us so long to adjust to you being here that, well, Morgan and I wanted to apologize for all of that." My aunt explains. 

Okay, something is definitely up. They are acting too nice and making me feel uncomfortable more than usual.

"I appreciate all of this but what's going on?" I asked.

"Nothing. Just it's your eighteenth birthday and we thought we should try and start things over, you know, since you are more mature now and everything." Aunt Belinda states.

"Uh..." I started to say something but then Morgan finally blurted out everything.

"Oh God mom, we might as well tell her." Morgan says.

Aunt Belinda takes in a deep breath and then lets it out before beginning to tell me what was really going on.

"Alright. The truth is, we know you were accepted to the Academy of the Supernatural."

"I was? But wait, how did you both know that?" I asked.

"Because it came in the mail a few days ago. Well, that along with the fact Morgan found your application one night while you were in the shower one da- any ways, what matters is that both you and Morgan are going to the school." She states.

"What?! How did she get accepted?!" I asked in protest.

"Don't worry, you'll still be able to keep your last name and I happened to know a few contacts there." She smirked.

"I don't believe this." I stated disappointed.

"It is simple. You both go or YOU don't go. Besides, you already took care of people even recognizing you. Your secret will be safe. So don't worry so much and appreciate my generosity." She states in her normal snarky mood with her glare and arms crossed over her chest.

I guess I don't have a choice. Not to mention it is a big school and wouldn't be like her and I would need to see each other all the time.

"Oh and by the way, one more thing, you both are sharing the biggest dorm room there." Aunt Belinda says.

Is she fucking serious?! Why me?! Why couldn't she just let me be and leave this hell-hole and be out of each other's lives for good?! Not to mention that Morgan has never taken much interest in being a witch really and is horrible at it too. Yet, she doesn't mind using my name to get things too but, well, like mother like daughter right?

Well....Here we go......

Next chapter will be posted soon!