Chapter Five

"Sorry, that took longer than expected," Chan sat down in the chair across from Minho, Changbin and Jisung putting away their computers and equipment as the other boys spoke. "I just want to see what you were thinking at this point."

"Well..." Minho scratched the back of his head. "I really think it's nice here and all, but I have a lot on my plate already... I'm not so sure that-"

"Minho," Chan gently cut Minho off. "I don't want to push you, I don't want to force you to tell me anything, because obviously I don't know you all too well, but I seriously want you here. That's why I want you to tell me what's wrong, you're clearly hesitating."

"I..." Minho paused, glancing around to where Changbin and Jisung were still in the room.

Chan followed his gaze and then nodded. "Hold on, Changbin! Jisung!"

Both young men glanced up. "Yeah?"

"Can you pick up the pace?" Chan laughed. "I need to talk with Minho. Alone."

Jisung's eyes flicked between Minho and Chan. "Why? Is there something that we shouldn't know?"

"Don't be like that," Chan stood up and pulled Jisung's bag over Jisung's shoulder before pushing him out of the room, quickly pulling Changbin along as well, shoving them both out of the room before closing the door firmly behind him.

"I... don't know if that was necessary," through the small glass part of the door, Minho could see Changbin making faces through the door at Chan, who sat back down in his seat.

"Ignore them," Chan laughed and crossed his legs. "But I'm serious now. I only want to know so that if you can join us, I will be able to understand you."

Minho took a deep breath and sat back, staring at Chan's face, who literally showed nothing but gentle concern. "My father's a politician. He's running for president again this year after he lost last term. He expects me to be a part of his campaign, a part of his "perfect" family. Not only that, but both my father and my step-mother don't approve of me dancing..."

"I see," Chan too sat back as he nodded. "Well..." a wide grin formed. "Come be part of our family instead!"

~oOo~

"You're back."

Minho looked up as he opened the front door, his mother glaring down at him from the staircase. "Where were you? You should have been home first thing after school."

"I went with Hyunjin," Minho muttered, slipping his shoes off.

"I don't want you to meet with him as much anymore. You're getting older, and you'll be going to college overseas in two years, you should start studying more and going out less."

"..." Minho just stared up at her for a moment before sighing and walking up the stairs, passing her on his way to his room.

"Hey! Don't ignore me!"

"Ow-" Minho gritted his teeth as his mother grabbed his arm, twisting it behind his back. "Look at me when I'm talking to you, and respond!" she growled, her bright lipstick getting dangerously close to his face.

"Let- go of me!"

"If you were half the person your father is, then you'd already be successful by now!"

"What would you know about success?" Minho ripped his arm out of her hold, her long nails nearly ripping through his jacket sleeve. "The only reason you have any sort of success is because of my father, so just leave me alone!"

Minho ran up the stairs and shut himself in his room, locking the door behind him.

With a sigh, he walked across the room and sat down on his bed, thinking back to his early conversation with Chan.