*CHAPTER 16

Fear coursed through his body as he ran after Renjun, his feet kissing the ground and eyes not leaving the upset boy one bit

Fear coursed through his body as he ran after Renjun, his feet kissing the ground and eyes not leaving the upset boy one bit. Jaemin weaved through the crowd with trembling feet, his breathing shallow. Suddenly his legs twitched, and his body came crashing to the floor with a loud thud. He hurriedly stood up and scanned the crowd, but Renjun was nowhere to be found.

Jaemin moved among the people, his eyes frantically looking for the little boy in a yellow hoodie. "Renjun! Renjun!"

Before even a few seconds had passed, he started calling his name again. With every repetition, his voice only grew louder, gaining the attention of the people nearby.

"Has anyone seen a little boy in a yellow hoodie?" He yelled, voice almost cracking. But the sea of people only stood there silently, some shaking their heads while the rest were blankly staring back at him.

"Renjun! Renjun!" Every few steps, he would stop and call his name, but his voice was only one in many, getting lost amongst the loud music and constant chattering.

Jaemin's mind had started to fail, like a broken stereo, repeating the same line again and again. He couldn't formulate a single thought other than his brain replaying kidnap stories on loop.

With every jostle from a careless shopper, his eyes only brimmed with tears. His hands trembled in fear, and he could feel sweat drench his skin. A staff member soon appeared by his side, and Jaemin wasted no time in explaining his situation.

Jaemin slowly made his way back to the other kids who stood rooted near the cash desk, waiting for him. After he had explained his situation to the staff, they had put the whole place under lockdown.

"Nana," Donghyuck whispered, tugging the hem of Jaemin's shirt to draw his attention. "Where is Junnie?"

The question set fire to his guilt that sat on his chest, eating him alive. The rue was like a volcano in his guts, erupting slowly but painfully. Jaemin crouched down to his level, pulling him into a tight hug. "We will find him soon."

What could you expect from a teen dad?

Is he even capable of looking after three children?

He should have opted for adoption.

Poor boy. I hope he finds his child soon.

I doubt he is even capable of taking care of himself, let alone three kids.

I hope the child is safe.

Jaemin could feel daggers aiming at him from within the crowd. The judgemental remarks only increased his guilt, plaguing him. A fire burned through his body as remorse hit him like a fire truck. He stood there with downcasted eyes, his bangs almost reaching his nose.

One minute. Two minutes. Three minutes. But the rude comments didn't stop there. The crowd stood stiffly, belittling the distressed guardian.

"If you won't help, I suggest you keep your mouth shut."

An all too familiar voice boomed from within the crowd, silencing the swarm of people in an instant.

Jaemin turned around and saw Jia standing in the crowd, a soft smile etched on her lips. Tears blinded him as his eyes landed on the curled-up boy in her arms.

"Nana!"

And Jaemin ran, like the winter waves colliding and crashing into the shoreline, like a coalition of lions racing through the fields of sub-Saharan Africa.

Jia placed Renjun on the ground, and he too ran towards his Nana, his arms stretched out.

Jaemin scooped Renjun up and secured him in a tight embrace, scared that he might disappear the moment he'd let go. The little boy wrapped his arms around his Nana, resting his head on his shoulder and blinking rapidly.

"Why would you run off like that? Do you know how scared I was?" Jaemin's voice came out harsher than intended. "Don't do that ever again."

"I'm sorry!" Renjun leaned back to look at Jaemin with his red and puffy eyes.

Jaemin patted Renjun's back and kissed him on his head. "It's okay. As long as you boys are okay."

Happy Halloween everyone!!!!