Thirty six.

Jonah's life.

There's a lot of triggers in this just a warning I also feel like this is very confusing.

"Momma" The little boy giggled pushing his face against the bars of the staircase railing. The woman with long dark hair turned to look in the direction of the little boy. "Jonah you silly goose I just put you to bed" she laughed halfheartedly. The little boy playfully stuck his tongue out at the woman. "Come here, hun. I suppose you can stay up just a bit more" she said venturing to the end of the stairs and putting her arms out for the toddler. The boy smiled and held his stuffed toy tight in his grasp as he slowly went down the stairs careful in fear of tripping. He got to the stair in front of his mother and put his arms out to be picked up.

The loving mother smiled and lifted her only child up by his armpits placing him on her hip the little boy accidentally dropping his stuffed toy in the process. "Uh oh," the baby said pointing at the toy that now lay at his mother's feet. "It's alright honey," she said reaching down and grabbing the toy. She handed the boy the toy he so adored and kissed his head. "Kitty" the baby smiled taking the stuffed cat into his arms again and hugging it tightly. The boy's eyes light up "kitties outside!" He yelled excitedly. The mother sighed "no baby the kitties are sleeping its night time" she said brushing his brown locks behind his ear. "Wake them up," he said. "Their sleepy baby you can play with the kitties in the morning," the mother said rubbing his back and bouncing him on her hip slightly. "Me just want to tell them night," the boy said putting his bottom lip out. The mother sighed it wouldn't hurt anything to let the baby she so adored see the outside cats that always came to their front porch for food, he loved the cats to the point the mom put a basket with a blanket on the porch for them where one of the females has her young.

She put a sweater on the boy before opening the door and letting him wander out on their front porch. The child immediately ran to the basket where the month old kittens and their mother lay. The boy's mother followed him taking a seat on the porch swing "don't take them out of the basket honey their mommy will get mad" she said in a gentle tone covering herself in a blanket she had brought out from the house. "Mommy will get mad?" The three-year-old questioned. The mother hummed "those are her babies like you are my baby" she said softly leaning forward from the swing and kissing the boy's head. "Wheres daddy kitty?" The boy asked tapping the pure white with a black dot around its eye mother cat's head. The mom pulled his hand away from the cat. "The daddy kitty is at work"

"Daddy kitty hit mommy kitty, cause her eye black?" The baby asked looking at his mother. She sighed she knew her son sometimes witnessed her and her husbands' fights but didn't know he thought it was normal. "No baby." She said softly. "Why momma kitty's eyes black?" He asked. "Because that's how she was created honey" she leaned down and picked the boy up sitting him in her lap the swing swaying beneath them. She pulled him closer to her chest and tried to rock him to slumber but to no avail, the little boy just wanted the cats so she put him down to go play with the strays until his father got home.

When the father arrived home from work at almost midnight he was angry, to say the least, that the boy was not asleep yet. He hated that child every whine and cry he made, every toy he had to buy him, the waste of his money. He much preferred he be in bed before he got home so he would have nothing to do with him. "Why isn't he asleep?" He growled when he saw the boy with the cats. "He's three he doesn't know any better, he will fall asleep soon he's yawning," the mom said picking the three-year-old up from where he sat on the porch. The boy let out a cry and reached down for his stuffed animal he had sitting beside the actual cats. The mom picked it up the baby continued to whine for the real cats. The mother began to grow worried for his safety trying to shush him and calm him down but he began to cry. She knew it was a bad idea he cried almost every time she tried to take him away from the cats and she knew his father would be coming home soon. That night was one of the first times he beat him.