45: Bullies

TW: Fighting

Three days have passed. In that time, it seemed the whole school was in a silent panic. Nobody trusted anybody outside their immediate friend groups, in fear that the 'Lightning Curse' would cause them to kill everyone.

Though Virgil heard all these rumors, he stayed silent. Really, what could he say? 'Oh yeah, I did the incredibly illegal thing that I learned from the forbidden book! Please expel me!'? Just the thought of telling anyone made him panic.

Of course, Janus and Remus' reactions were a mix of being astonished, jealous, and curious. It was only this year Virgil had convinced them to drop the book and not pursue something illegal. He's just now realizing how ironic things have become. He feared one of them would have ended up in this situation, but instead it's him.

What hasn't helped Virgil is his lack of contact with Logan. At a time like this, where everyone is on edge, telling their friends about his relationship- with someone they don't particularly like- wouldn't help anyone at all.

Virgil's thinking is cut off by Remus letting out a groan.

"I hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee calculus. When are we ever going to need it?" he complains.

"Really often, probably. The majority of math is actually going to be useful," Janus says.

"Yeah, the majority. Is calc in that?" Remus retorts.

"Yes. Now quit whining and solve the equations if you don't want to be held back," Janus snaps.

"Okay okay, geez," Remus grumbles, going back to his worksheet.

Virgil, on the other hand, was playing on his computer. He had been studying all day already, so it seems fair he takes a break now. The reason for their studying is the two tests coming up in math and science. Not really big tests, but the math and science teachers were fairly strict about tests.

But after more of Remus' complaints, he stands up and takes off his headphones.

"I'm going for a walk," he says.

"Okay. Don't do anything stupid," Janus says, not looking up from his science textbook.

"I won't," Virgil promises.

---

But as it turns out, going for that walk was a stupid idea. Since everyone was so on edge, some students had taken it upon themselves to find this lightning caster and, to put it bluntly, beat the crap out of the suspects until they confess.

So that's the situation Virgil landed himself into.

"S- Stay back. Please please," he begs. His eyes are dry, but his hands are shaking. 

"Nah. We want to know who did it. If we do the school'll reward us and my girl will stop bein scared," the tall bully, presumably the leader, growls.

"I swear I didn't do anything," Virgil says, like a liar.

"Oh, really?" a brawny guy asks, not believing him.

"Please- I- I- I swear."

"Prove it."

"How?!"

They step closer to him and Virgil feels his heart rate skyrocket. Didn't bullies nowadays not act like they were in a Stephen King book and do harder-to-catch acts of bullying?

"Virgil?!"

Everyone looks up and the guys take a few steps back from Virgil. Virgil looks up to see who his savior is.

It's Logan. 

A rush of relief goes through him.

"L- Logan," he says.

Logan rushes over to them.

"What's going on?! Why were you cry- what did you do to him?!" Logan starts asking, turning his concern away from Virgil to yell at the bullies.

"Nothin' man," one of them mutters.

"Yeah, we're just gonna-"

"No." the tall one cuts the other guys off. "I want answers. Did you do it or do you know who did? I have a feelin one of the freaks in your freaky little group did it. So tell me, you freak!"

Virgil freezes up but Logan sighs.

"First of all, please improve your vocabulary. It's pathetic," he says.

"What did you say to me, nerdy boy?" the tall one turns his glare to Logan.

"I said your vocabulary is pathetic. How did you not hear me? We are roughly two and a half feet apart," Logan says.

"Shut up, you goddamn nerd," the guy growls.

His fist lights up with an all-to-familiar glow. Virgil immediately knows what's going to happen, but he feels as though someone punched him in the throat.

"Lo-"

But the bully is faster, landing a bad punch in the middle of Logan's face.

"Ow."

Logan glares at the guy, a little blood coming from his nose. He looks to the water fountain a few feet away and draws some water from it, quickly splashing the tall guy in the face and freezing the water. he stumbles back, trying to break the ice.

"Virgil, let's go," Logan says, grabbing his boyfriend's hand and helping him up.

They start to run but Logan feels someone yank his collar back. He trips and gets turned around by the tall guy, with the ice on his face now melted. Virgil turns around when Logan stopped running.

"Virgil, go! Get someone-" Logan says before the guy shoves him down.

Where is everyone? Logan wonders to himself. Oh.. right... it's the week of a test. Everyone is studying.

"You're gonna regret doing that to me, nerd," he growls.

He punches Logan again, but this time Logan manages to half-duck. He looks up to the lights and decides to try and blind his attacker by making the lights in the vicinity shine extremely bright. He drags the light down to his hands and shoves the bully away by the face.

He falls back and hits his head on the floor. At that same moment, Logan releases the light back into the bulbs, thinking the guy will just run away now. He was wrong.

Instead, he lunges at Logan and tries to punch him. He isn't the brightest, considering his eyes are still trying to see properly after having the equivalent of a flashlight stuck in them.

Logan tries to keep calm, but his internal panic gets the better of him. He backs away rather fast and his hands start to shake as the lights grow brighter and brighter. Logan gets flashbacks to when this happened after he found out about Virgil and Roman's history together.

Then the lightbulbs break.

"W- What are you doing? You freak!" the bully scrambles away from Logan after he hears the noise and the hallway goes dark, pure fear in his eyes.

Logan steps back.

"Leave me and Virgil alone," he says in a deadly serious tone.

The bully nods and runs away. Like all bullies, he's just a coward underneath. Logan wonders where his little backup guys went, though.

Soon, he returns to the safety of his dorm. Patton and Roman were studying in the library and Remy is who-knows-where, so Logan cleans himself up without anyone having to know. 

But this was his second fight of the year. He was beginning to worry that he wouldn't go unpunished or with just a few days of in-school suspension this time.

I'm bad at writing bully angst :D. But this is all part of the upcoming climax! I hope you enjoyed reading, please feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments, and have a joyous day/night you magnificent peep!