46: Virgil is a mom

Virgil wakes up to screaming in his dorm.

"Will you two shut upppp?" he groans.

"TELL THAT TO REMUS!" Janus shouts.

"Why are you screaming?!" Virgil asks.

"CENTIPEDE!!!!!!" Remus screams.

Virgil sighs.

"Really? A centipede?" says Virgil, both annoyed and in disbelief. Are they really terrified of a bug?

Since he can't go back to sleep with screaming, Virgil grabs a shoe and throws it at the bug, which he spotted on the wall.

"There. Now both of you can shut up."

Silence followed.

"Power move."

"I- I could have done that," Janus mutters.

"But ya didn't," Virgil says.

"Well anyway," Janus hops down from his bed. "We need to get ready for class."

"Yeah okay." Virgil rolls out of bed, brushes his hair, grabs his bag, and goes to exit the dorm.

"You're not- you're staying in what you slept in?" Janus asks.

"I'm speedrunning," says Virgil.

"Didn't know you were a gamer," Remus interjects.

"I am. You haven't seen me play Animal Crossing at two am?" Virgil asks.

"Does that really count?" Remus asks.

"It's a video game so it counts. Bye!" Virgil leaves the dorm before Remus has the chance to say anything.

But after the door closes, Virgil tenses up. He looks down at the floor and makes his way to the cafeteria as fast as possible, trying not to run into anybody on his way there. He didn't want to go through the events of yesterday. Even though he had tried to get an adult to intervene, Logan and the other guy were gone by the time he got back.

Virgil scans the room he enters for his boyfriend. He finds him next to Patton. And Roman. He and Roman had both moved on, but things were still awkward. Plus, Virgil preferred avoiding social interaction in the majority of its forms, which includes being around someone he has a not-so-great history with.

---

A few minutes earlier, Logan waited in line for breakfast.

The day's breakfast options were an apple or banana, and toast or oatmeal. Logan silently waits his turn, having nothing to do but stare into space. But from his boredom and the slowness of the line, he begins to listen in on the conversation of girls in front of him. He took interest once he heard his name.

"You didn't hear? He's the one who- y'know- did it. But apparently, there's not enough proof so the teachers can't do anything..." she whispers.

"Woah- If I were him I would just get out of here. For everyone's safety," another mutters.

"Yeah... kinda selfish if you think about it."

The gossipy group then decides to look up and realizes Logan is just a few feet away. He quickly looks away and a few squeak in surprise and hush each other.

Logan also looks away. He looks forward but only forward, his eyes don't glance at anyone else, even though he feels as though people are staring.

Throughout the day, that feeling never fades. Everywhere he goes, he hears whispers. People back away from him. This is nothing like the aftermath of his and Roman's fight, because back then there were people who didn't like Roman or hadn't cared about the fight. But this was different. This was rumors.

---

During lunch, Logan goes to find Virgil and they go to the library. Logan told Virgil he needed to ask him something, preferably in private.

"Are you okay? From yesterday? Did you get hurt? Your nose looks a little crooked do you think it might be broken? Tap it. Does it hurt?" Virgil bombardes Logan with his worried questions.

"Virgil, I'm fine. Just a bruise," Logan answers calmly.

"Where? How bad?" Virgil asks.

"On my cheek. I took some of Roman's makeup to cover it up, but it is not bad," Logan says. "You can relax." He takes Virgil's hands into his own.

Virgil nods and takes a deep breath.

"I know I know. I'm just worried for you," he says.

Virgil brushes Logan's hair to the side. As both a romantic gesture and to check for bruises. When it comes to the safety of someone he cares about, he's practically a mom.

"So what did you want to talk about?" Virgil asks.

They let go of each other, the mood around them changing almost instantly.

"Virgil, you know how the school works, correct?" Logan asks.

"I mean I go here, so yeah?" responds Virgil.

"Could you help me get everyone to stop avoiding me? I don't know what happened but- not even Patton will go near me," Logan says.

A flash of jealousy crosses Virgil. 

"Well that's just terrible that Patton won't go near you," he grumbles.

He had far from forgotten Patton's crush on Logan. Which would lead down a bunch of relationship stuff that he doesn't exactly want to deal with right now.

"Are you mocking me?" Logan raises an eyebrow.

"No-" Virgil clears his throat and tries to forget about Patton. Logan doesn't like him, so there's no problem. "So anyway- I get what's happening. But you asked literally the worst person possible. Other than with you, I talk maybe five times a week. Two of those times being to yell at my friends for being idiots."

"So should I ask said idiots instead?" Logan asks.

"Yeah, probably. Janus is probably the better person to go to but he doesn't really like you because you hung out with Roman instead of us at the start of the school year," says Virgil.

Logan stays silent, but nods.

"I'll talk to him," he says.

"Have fun," Virgil says sarcastically.

Just then, the bell rings, signaling five minutes before the next class was to start.

I am so so sorry for the really late update. As I said in my announcement earlier, I've been struggling with motivation. But I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments and have a wonderful day/night you magnificent peep!