48: Logan's strategy

"Oh, you finally figured it out! Congratulations," Rosa says sarcastically.

"I don't understand- why- how?" Logan stutters.

"We aren't just side characters, you know. You think almost fainting and 'testing limits' is a normal thing we do? HELL. NO. Any reasonable kid should stay weak. We're cursed with these powers. That's the 'why'." someone approaches him from behind.

Logan turns around. It's Cass. The sweet, freckle-faced boy that befriended him in Space Club, and had been a background friend for months. Logan couldn't believe how oblivious he'd been.

"Oh don't have that look. Cass and I could be world-class actors if we wanted to. Not even Virgie here, who was with Cass for nearly three years, suspected a thing," Rosa tuts.

"Bitch. I barely talked to you," Virgil growls.

"Oh, still conscious? Cass!" Rosa says.

Before Logan can react, Cass whacks Virgil on the head and he goes limp.

"VIRGIL!" Logan shouts, darting over to his boyfriend.

"You better shush or we'll knock you out and lock you in a storage closet. Actually, I think I might just do that anyway," Rosa says, a smirk of pure confidence on her face.

"No. I don't know why you think our powers are a curse, or what you're planning to do about it, but I know I can't let you do anything," Logan says, turning to face his classmates.

"Hun, this isn't a movie. You can't beat us with your less than a year of training. I'm a Senior, for hell's sake. You think I haven't been studying all I can?" Rosa asks.

"Well, I-" Logan steadies himself, even with his heart racing. "I can still beat you."

"I seriously doubt that. And what's stopping me from leaving right now and enacting my plan? The whole campus is my battlefield, and you don't even know where my dorm is," says Rosa.

"I-" Logan doesn't know how to respond. He's at an extreme disadvantage here. All he can do is stall for time. "And what is this plan of yours?"

Rosa raises an eyebrow. But Cass, on the other hand, looks up at Logan with a grin on his face.

"We're gonna blow this place sky-high! That way nobody will have to deal with their curse ever again and we can go back to our normal lives!" he says with pride.

If looks could kill, Rosa would have stabbed Cass several times over with the daggers she was shooting at him.

"You absolute IDIOT!" she shouts.

Logan smiles a little. He didn't expect that to work, but he supposes he overestimated Cass's ability to keep a secret.

Rosa lifts a bit of the unmelted snow and throws it at Cass's head, turning it to ice. Cass dodges but he backs down and mutters an apology. Not that it will do any good now.

"Take Virgil and get out of my sight. I'll have to deal with this guy now," she snaps at him.

"No! Leave Virgil out of this," Logan demands.

"Hun, our whole plan needs Virgil. You never had to get yourself into this. You never had to be so disgustingly heroic. It's going to get you killed. Right now, in fact," Rosa says as casually as she would talk about distasteful weather.

"I can't let you. I won't let you do any of this!" Logan shouts.

Without a second thought, he launches a rock at her head, distracting her, then he charges at her. Logan grabs Rosa by the stomach and rams her into the wall. She slips out of his grip at the last second, though, and opens her water bottle, which had previously gone unnoticed on the ground.

"I may hate this curse, but that doesn't mean I won't use it," she growls.

"Then I will as well," Logan says cooly.

He steals some water from Rosa's bottle, and the two catch each other in a game of tug-of-war, with the water floating midair.

"Give it!" Rosa shouts.

"No! If you use your powers, so will I. It'll be fairer this way," Logan argues.

"You know what?! FINE. I don't care because I will beat you!" Rosa says with a smirk of arrogance.

She lets go of the water, leaving the two at a standstill, waiting for the other to attack. But soon, Rosa's aggressive nature got the better of her and she sent several ice spikes Logan's way. He dodges and counterattacks. He steadily gets closer to her, trying to remember all of the different forms of energy manipulation he's learned. At least some of it can be used in a fight, can't it? 

Logan wishes they were indoors. Then he could use some form of light. It was really the only thing he excelled at. And there was no doubt he was outmatched here. But that's only in skill. Logan has always had one thing he can rely on. His smarts.

"You may be older, but you really lack strategy," Logan taunts.

Rosa, for all her seemingly chillness, is quite the hothead. She was never like that when Cass was around, but the way she had gotten once he left showed Logan everything.

"Shut up, you little twerp! I'll show you strategy!" she lunges for him, the crackle of an oncoming explosion coming from her hands.

Logan throws up his hands to defend himself, but Rosa seems to fall to the ground. The second he lowers his arms a little, Rosa kicks him in the chin, adding an explosion, leaving Logan a little burned and bruised.

Their fight continues, mostly a match of water, ice, and explosions. With a large amount of missed punches and kicks as well. Both seemingly going moment from moment, doing their best to be the last one standing. Logan manages to keep a grin on his face if only to infuriate Rosa more. 

"You're so weak! I could snap your neck right now if I wanted to!" she shouts.

"I doubt you have the gall to try! You pussy!" Logan shouts back, remembering someone using that slang word before.

He throws out his hands, sending a bit of water at Rosa. But it doesn't freeze, only splashing her in the face.

"Pathetic," she grumbles.

Rosa pushes Logan to the ground, and he rolls out of her way before she can hit him again. He quickly gets back on his feet and behind her in a flash, hitting her in the back of the neck. Then, he exhales a large breath, letting his body relax, much to Rosa's confusion and surprise.

"What are you- why do I-" Rosa murmurs, her eyes drooping, before collapsing to the ground, passed out.

Logan sighs in relief. His plan worked. He distracted Rosa with taunts and weak moves, while simultaneously increasing her adrenaline until the point where he makes it plummet. The sudden decrease in energy, as well as all the energy she used up, made her pass out from exhaustion.

Now it was time to rescue Virgil. Before something horrible happens to him.

I am so so sorry for the late updates! To be honest, I've been somewhat nervous to write this chapter. I'm never good at writing fighting scenes and such. Plus, I'm going to school in person for half the week now, which limits my time. Still, I really hope you enjoyed reading, feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments, and have an incredible day/night you magnificent peep!