39: Campfire Song Song

Virgil and Logan enter their campsite to find Remus chasing around a squirrel with a stick and Patton trying to stop him.

"REMUS! LEAVE THE POOR SQUIRREL ALONE!" Patton shouts.

"THOSE ARE MY NUTS, YOU BASTARD!" Remus screams.

Logan lets out a sigh and looks up while Virgil snickers. Both of them were somewhat expecting this.

"REMUS!" Patton shouts.

"I WILL NEVER SURRENDER MY NUTS!"

"STOP SAYING IT LIKE THAT!"

"INCOHERENT SCREAMING!"

"Did- did you just scream 'incoherent screaming'?"

"Yes- GODDAMNIT THAT SQUIRREL GOT AWAY!"

Virgil wheezes with laughter while Logan suppresses a smile.

"Remus, Patton, did you two set up a shelter?" he asks.

Remus and Patton look up, just now realizing their friends had been watching.

"Oh- yeah! Remus found a spot up in a tree and I got a bunch of branches to make a platform," Patton says. "It was actually pretty smart of him!"

Remus beams from the praise.

"We are going to die, there's no doubt about that," Virgil says. "What if there's a storm? Or strong winds? Or a very upset bird? What if the foundation isn't stable and we fall to our deaths?"

"It's only like two feet off the ground, Virgie," Remus says.

Virgil looks mildly relieved. Logan, on the other hand, was intently studying the structure built. He wanted to make sure every part of it is stable to ensure Virgil doesn't panic.

"It's stable, Virgil. Just a few adjustments will make it almost completely safe," Logan says.

"Almost..." Virgil mutters.

"Don't worry about it, Virgie. I was a Boy Scout for three years until they kicked me out for-" 

"Trying to burn down a tent with a flaming marshmallow?" Virgil finishes Remus's sentence.

"That's actually exactly what happened," Remus says.

"How- why-" Patton stutters.

"Don't question it," Virgil says.

"Okay- but I'm keeping Remus away from the campfire tonight," Patton says.

"Good call," Virgil says.

Logan silently wonders when Virgil and Patton got so friendly with each other. Well, it's better than them being upset.

Once sunset comes, they start on the fire. Well, Virgil was in charge of making sure Remus didn't commit arson and cause a forest fire, and Logan was starting the fire while Patton got kindling.

"REMUS! WE CANNOT KILL EVERYONE HERE!" Virgil shouts.

"BE GAY DO ARSON!" Remus shouts back.

"PREACH!" a voice shouts from the woods.

"OH FU-" Virgil screeches out of fear before Remus shoves him down. "GET BACK HERE!"

"Remus. We can commit arson at the school. Not here," Logan says.

"We aren't committing arson!" Patton says as he comes back, hands full of dry leaves and sticks.

"Awww, c'mon! Arson is fun!" Remus whines.

Virgil pinches the bridge of his nose.

"Remus. I will give you my secret bag of chips if you don't do something to kill us this trip," he says.

"What chips?" Remus asks.

"Sour cream and onion."

"Eh, salt and vinegar are better. Still, deal." The two of them shake hands and Remus was seemingly less chaotic.

"Um, no. BBQ is the best," Patton says.

"I prefer nacho Doritos, honestly," Virgil says. "But sour cream and onion are the next best."

"I've never had chips," Logan admits.

"Well, I'm not giving you mine," Remus says.

"How have you never-" Patton starts to ask.

"Welcome to the strict parent life. But mine are only strict when they're around soooooo," Virgil says.

"Kiddo-" Patton looks at Virgil with concern.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. I spend most of my time at school anyway," Virgil adds to brush off any concerns.

Once the fire is lit and the packaged food Virgil snuck plus the plants Logan found were cooking, everyone sat around the fire.

Then Patton got an idea.

"Let's gather 'round the campfire, and sing our campfire song~" he starts.

"Our C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E S-O-N-G song, and if you don't think that we can sing it faster then you're wrong!" Remus sings.

"But it'll help if you just sing along. Bum, bum, buuum!" they sing together.

"C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E S-O-N-G song! C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E S-O-N-G song! And if you don't think that we can sing it faster then you're wrong, but it'll help if you just sing along! C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E S-O-N-G song song C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E! Good, it'll help, it'll help if you just sing along!"

"Kill me please," Virgil says, turning to Logan.

Logan puts his arm around Virgil's shoulders.

"No. You can survive one song," he says.

"Who said we were only singing one?" Remus asks.

"Nope nope nope. Sing again and I punch you in the throat," Virgil says.

"Woah there kiddo- let's not get physical," Patton says.

"Then let's just do one song," Remus says.

"I am not doing the Better Than You duet again. Next time go to Janus for singing," Virgil says.

"You're no fun," Remus pouts.

"You knew that when you became my friend," Virgil retorts.

"Fair enough," Remus shrugs.

---

Once it grew dark and the fire died out, the group went to their small shelter. The night wasn't too windy, but it could definitely have been warmer. Thankfully, they all had their coats and even one blanket. The school wasn't very strict with their 'no luxury' policy. All they did was check for phones.

After a little while, Virgil snuggles up close to Logan in full view of the others, momentarily forgetting they're not alone.

"Wow, getting close there, aren't you Vee?" Remus asks through the dark.

"I'm cold," Virgil protests, thankful nobody can see his bright red face.

"And gay," Remus points out.

"Logan I'm also cold-" Patton says.

"Use your jacket," Logan says.

Virgil snuggles closer to his boyfriend as Patton frowns a little.

"I'd offer myself but I'm not touch-starved enough to touch you," Remus says to Patton.

Patton sighs.

"That's fair," he says. "I'm sorry."

The group goes silent and listens to the sounds of the forest. It's peaceful for all but Virgil, as his mind is still racing with all their possible deaths in the woods.

Camping. I promise this will help the plot and only last another chapter or two. Also, the next chapter will be entirely Roman/Janus POV, instead of Logan/Virgil. Be ready. I hope you enjoyed reading, feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments, and have a fantastic day/night you magnificent peep!