28: SNOW WAR

*Logan POV*

My suspension is over. It's Tuesday, December 18th.

I would assume everything would go back to normal, but it didn't. I have a mark on my record, a pissed-off roommate, and now everyone avoids me as if they thought I would attack them for no reason.

After I finish all my homework in the library, I decide to go back to my dorm. Hopefully, Roman has rehearsal and won't be there.

I walk inside and there's nobody in the main room. But a few seconds after I've walked in, the door opens again. Thankfully, it's not Roman. But it is Patton. And with the coldness he's shown Roman and I the past few days, I can't say he's much better.

"Uh- hey Lo! Do you want to hang out sometime?" Patton asks.

"Why?" I ask, mildly surprised.

"We're friends, silly!" he says.

"You aren't still mad at me?" I ask.

"Not really. I mean, you finished your punishment. Just put it behind you now," Patton says.

"How? It's an event, not a physical object," I say.

"I mean, like, leave it in the past. It's not important anymore," Patton says.

Maybe it isn't for him, but the fight is still an important part of my life, with it still affecting me.

"Now, let's go do something! I heard the snow war is starting!" Patton says, grabbing my arm and pulling me outside.

"Shouldn't we get snow gear-" I ask.

"Nope! Temperature manipulation, remember? I'll keep you warm!" Patton says.

"Are you able to do it for both of us for an extended period of time? And what about our clothing getting wet?" I ask.

"Yes and don't worry about it! It's SNOW WAR TIME!"

He drags me outside, where we're met with cold wind and snow. Goosebumps immediately erupt all over my skin and my teeth chatter.

"One sec," Patton says.

He grabs my hand and after a few seconds, I feel a trail of heat go through me, starting in my hands. Whether that's because they're my center point of energy or because Patton is holding them, I don't know.

Patton's control on temperature manipulation is impressive, but it's not close to perfect. I don't know the amount of skill it takes to change a person's temperature, but I would assume it is a higher level move.

Patton leads me to the hill overlooking the lake. The same hill I sat on the night I saved Virgil. The night something changed between us.

And I'm still not entirely sure what.

Patto starts grabbing clumps of snow and shoving them together to form a wall. I watch, not wanting to kneel down and soak my pants.

"So what are the rules?" I ask.

"Rules?" Patton asks.

"Is there a goal, or point system? Or do we just fight until death?" I ask.

"Well- we fight until we get tired. And yellow snow and ice is off-limits," Patton explains, "Now, let's build our fort!

"Are," I correct.

"Huh?" he says.

"They are off-limits, not is," I say.

"Oh, right! You're smart," Patton says with a laugh.

"Uh- thank you?" I say.

Patton beams and continues building walls out of the snow. I decide to the same, trying my best to calculate the optimal wall design, thickness, and position. If this is a free-for-all game, I want to win. However, my knees have gotten soaked from the snow.

"Patton, you start making snowballs. Make sure they're packed tightly and snow doesn't fall off when you throw them. I'm continuing with the walls," I instruct.

"Whatever you say, Lo!" Patton says brightly.

"My name is still Logan," I say.

"I know! But Lo sounds nice!" Patton says.

"I suppose so. When does this 'snow war' start, exactly?" I ask.

"Saturday afternoon. It's something we do every year. Since we chose this spot, we're on the white side. The other side is the black one. The centerline is a rainbow!" Patton says.

"It's gay!" someone in another snow fort shouts.

"So are you!" Patton shouts back.

"I know!" the person shouts.

"So continuing, we usually make the centerline out of a bunch of Kool-Aid!" Patton explains.

"Interesting. This school has many... strange traditions," I note.

"Yeah, but that's what makes it feel like one big family! Or- well- not as close as family but like-" Patton says.

"A community," I say.

He snaps his fingers.

"Yes! Exactly! We're one big community!" he says.

It certainly doesn't feel like one, with all the people cast out, taking sides, and completely ignoring others. Yes, I mean Roman and the rest of the school. And I've begun to notice all of the students in the back of the classrooms, the shadows of the halls, and the refuge of the library.

As we continue making the fort, I trip a little and get a handful of snow up my sleeve.

"Aaah Aaah! Cold!" I say without thinking.

"Oh! Sorry!" Patton says.

He stumbles over to me, trying to avoid the fallen wall of the fort.

He grabs my hand, his face going red with what I would assume in concentration and the cold, and my body warms up again. I shake the snow out of my sleeve, only realizing I could have gotten it all out, and faster, had I used manipulation.

An hour passes as we set up the fort. We ended up moving to what Patton called the 'base fort' which is exactly how it sounds. The base for the white side. Patton said since I'm really good at planning I should help build and plan 'the attack'.

"So our walls are reinforced with slush, which will freeze and make them close to ice by tonight," I say.

"Yep!" Patton confirms.

"And the attack starts at some point during Saturday. So I suggest we wait until they make the first move, and we draw their attention away from their defenses. We'll also have a small team-" I stop when I notice his eyes wandering around aimlessly. He isn't paying attention.

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose.

"I'll explain later," I say.

"Huh? Oh, ok!" Patton says.

"Should we go back inside now?" I ask.

Patton's warmth manipulation won't last much longer.

"Sure! We're mostly done with our fort and it's getting dark out," Patton says.

He grabs my hand and lightly skips towards the building. I discreetly let go of his hand. I'm warm enough right now and I don't enjoy holding hands with someone who just stuck them in snow slush.

Woah- an update and a oneshot within the span of three days? Thank you, motivation, and screw you, school! I hope y'all enjoyed reading, feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments. Have a splendid day/night you magnificent peep!