4: Fears

*Logan POV*

In class, the teacher walks in and tells us what our assignment for today is.

"We're working with light today," they say.

"Uh, Mx. Lee-" Patton starts to say.

I turn around as I hear pop pop pop.

"Remus, NO-" Mx. Lee says.

It's too late. Remus blew up his pencil, leaving wood scraps and lead bits around him. He has a huge grin on his face.

"Remus, what have I told you about doing this in an open classroom with people around?" Mx. Lee asks.

"I don't remember. But this is way more fun than doing it in a closed room where I am taken out the second I do anything cool," he says.

Mx. Lee scowls.

"Detention. Or you can get your ability restricted," they say.

"I'll take detention," Remus says.

He hops out of his seat and over to the detention room, right across the hall. All I'm wondering is how you can restrict someone's ability.

"Now, everyone, today we're working on light," they say, turning back to the class.

Everyone groans. I think back to what Thomas showed me. Light has layers and he can move it to his central point.

"Does everyone remember the practice stance?" the teacher asks.

"No, last time we worked on this was last year!" a girl says.

Mx. Lee nods.

"I see. Well, we're working with visible light. Green, specifically. Its medium wave-length and the fact that it's a visible light makes it one of the easiest. I should expect you all to know it by now," they say.

They wave their hand around the lamp, and a thin green thing came out of it, like a controlled wisp of smoke. The lamp dulls as they do this.

"It's all about proper hand movement, so get to it," they say.

We all turn on the lamps on our desks, and I hear everyone start.

"Logan, I don't expect you to get it on your first try, or at all today. Just try your best and ask for help when you need it," Mx. Lee says.

I nod. I copy the motion that was shown and has immediate success. 

"Wow. You're pretty good," Roman says, sounding a little bitter.

I shrug.

"I guess," I say.

After about 20 minutes, the entire class has a wisp of green light around them.

"Ok, next we're going to do the whole spectrum. That will be what we're doing today and your homework," Mx. Lee says.

Everyone groans again. I'm guessing this isn't a popular subject.

"It's impossible, though!" someone says.

"Yeah, we're only Middles!" another shouts.

Mx. Lee looks annoyed.

"Yes, you are Middles. This is a move you should have learned when you were Sophomores, but your teacher is- nevermind. It is not impossible, but just difficult. Many of you haven't found your center point yet. You need to find that to find ease," they say.

Everyone just glares at them and starts their work.

"Logan dear, why don't you just work on your individual colors?" Mx. Lee suggests.