44: Ice Skating

A few hours after Virgil had run off, Roman invited Patton out for ice skating. The lake had frozen over again, and with a little meddling from some students, the lake was safely frozen while the air was warm enough to just wear a sweatshirt. Or a tank top, if you're Remus.

"Funny seeing you here, Ro-Ro." Remus skates over to the edge of the lake where Roman helps tie Patton's school skates.

"You know I'm good at ice skating. Why wouldn't I be here?" Roman snaps.

"Hi, Remus!" Patton says happily, ignoring what Roman said.

"Oh hey Pat," Remus says.

Roman looks between them. When did his best friend get so... friendly with Remus? No no- he should keep his mouth shut this time. Remus can't replace him. Patton will still be his friend.

"It's really been a while since I've been on the ice," Remus says.

"Oh really? How long has it been?" Patton asks.

"Three years," Remus and

"Ooo! That sounds cool! Can you guys show me?" asks Patton excitedly.

"Well-" Roman starts.

"Of course. Unless you lost your skill, Roman," Remus says, playfully taunting him.

"I haven't!" Roman says quickly. "I still know how."

"Alright then let's go!" says Remus, grabbing Roman by the arm.

"Hey careful I'm gonna-"

Roman then proceeded to faceplant into the ice.

He then gets up like nothing happened, ignoring the bruise forming on his cheekbone.

"Uh- you alright there kiddo?" Patton asks.

"Yep! Totally fine!" Roman says.

Remus skates around Roman, waiting for him to start. The two of them had been made to do the same routine for several years in a row because their moms wanted them to. Didn't matter that when they were little kids they had no interest in skating or dance in any way, shape, or form.

They got through their skating routine, a short but impressive-looking one. Patton's jaw drops a little as he watches.

"Roman, Remus, that's amazing!" he says.

They both nod and slide to a halt.

"My mom and his mom are really good friends and they love ice skating. You should see Remus in his sparkly leotard from his figure skating years," Roman chuckles as the two skate back over.

"Hey! I totally slayed in that!" Remus interjects. "And yours was even sparklier!"

"That's because I'm a queen," Roman says, flipping his hair.

"Tch." Remus rolls his eyes.

"So how long have you two skated?" Patton asks.

Remus shrugs.

"Uhh- probably four or five years?" he says.

"Yeah, sounds accurate. Any other time of the year I did theatre while you did... whatever it is you do," Roman says.

Remus rolls his eyes. "Track. To learn to run faster from people I piss off. C'mon, I know we barely talk at school but geez."

Roman shrugs innocently.

"Not my fault I focus more on theatre."

Patton skates himself in between the two.

"Alright, why don't we just go skate instead of getting into a fight?" he suggests.