51: Rosa and Cass's fate

One and a half months pass. The air had grown warmer and Logan and Virgil's injuries had healed for the most part. Remus and Patton visited them every day, and Roman every few days. Janus hadn't come to see either of them.

During their recovery time, a lot of things happened. Firstly, Rosa and Cass were dealt with almost immediately after they recovered from their fights with Logan.

"I've called this meeting because we need to make a decision about Rosa Piccone and Cass Mallard," Thomas announces to the rest of the staff.

Since this was essentially a private boarding school, the staff made decisions together, not a school board.

"What happened?" One of the teachers asks.

"They took control of another student, and got him and another into a potentially deadly fight. We also learned that they made a plot to destroy the school," Joan, the vice-principal, recaps.

"We should expel them, obviously."

"Why would someone even think to do this?"

"Are the other two students okay?"

Voices start to fill the room, each staff member questioning and saying their opinions.

"Yes, the other two students are okay, thanks to our school doctor. Now, Emile ran a psych evaluation on Mallard and Piccone. He determined that Piccone was unstable at the very least and Mallard has an intense loyalty to her," Thomas says once the staff starts to quiet down. "So I propose two options. Either we expel them, and they cease to be our problem. Or we can keep them here, under very close monitoring, while Emile attempts to rehabilitate them. I personally think the second option would be better, as we don't know what they could do to the non-magic public or the other school in the country."

"But what if something like this happens again, but worse? Plus, Piccone is graduating this year, so how much 'rehabilitation' would she really get?" a teacher objects.

"Enough, with Emile's skill. And if not, we can always alert her parents. I believe her mother is also one of us," Thomas says.

"There is no accounting for her home life or her mother's understanding. I vote we expel her and leave her to deal with the consequences of her actions immediately," another teacher states.

Thomas nods.

"Then let's vote. All in favor of expelling Rosa Piccone please raise your hand," he announces.

Out of the 61 staff members at the school, 28 voted to expel her, and 33 voted to let her stay. But the 28 on the expel side push to still punish her, and keep her away from the other students.

"She's proven herself dangerous. I hardly trust her around the students. But how can we ensure that she won't harm anyone again?" a teacher asks.

"I will personally monitor her," Thomas says. "I have a long family history of powerful manipulators, so I can assure you that I will be able to handle a single seventeen-year-old."

"Now what about Mallard?" Joan prompts.

"Emile concluded that he was manipulated, so I think basic monitoring and a suspension will suffice," Thomas says.

The staff nods in agreement and the meeting is wrapped up, everyone more or less comfortable with the conclusion of the futures of the two students.

"Fun fact of the day, within three days of death, the enzymes from your digestive system begin to digest your body!" Remus bounces in.

"Sounds fun," Virgil grumbles.

"And fascinating," Logan adds.

"And disgusting," Roman points out, walking in behind Remus and Patton.

Logan had gotten bored during his recovery, and Remus was full of mildly disturbing facts. This was the result, much to the annoyance of Virgil, who is usually sleepy when Remus arrives. And sleepy for Virgil is extremely crabby and ready to kill a god for everyone else.

"Hi kiddos! Here's your homework- how was your day?" Patton plops down two notebooks and folders in front of the boys.

"Fine," Virgil says.

"I second that. Nothing interesting happened, we've just been doing our online homework," Logan says.

"Ah, well, that can't be horrible," Patton says brightly.

The five boys chat for a bit about random things throughout the school. How one kid got his hand stuck in a wall, the really annoying science teacher. But what was most discussed was how everyone was quietly talking about what happened with Logan and Virgil. Since most people heard of Rosa and Cass getting punished, they assumed Logan or Virgil must have been some sort of hero. Those thoughts were pushed a little more by Roman and Remus. Patton never liked rumors, but he didn't feel it was his job to spread the story.

After a little more talking, Virgil and Logan share a look. They were ready to tell their friends something.

"Guys, there's something Lo and I should probably tell you," Virgil says.

Logan nods.

"We're dating. We have been for a while," he says as if he were just discussing the weather.

Patton looks surprised, to say the least, and Remus grins.

"I knew it! You two fu-"

"No. We haven't. Please get your mind out of the gutter," Virgil cuts him off.

"OHHHHH! So that's why you two are so close. That makes sense!" Patton exclaims.

"Well, I definitely could feel your love tonight every night. The way you two look at each other screams 'gay'," Roman says with a small smile.

Logan nods and Virgil pulls his hood up.

"Well you didn't need to hide it for this long," Remus says after a bit of a silence. "So anyhoo, when are you getting out of here? Class is so boring without- uh- the quiet one and the nerd?"

"Yeah, I'm an absolute riot in class." Virgil rolls his eyes.

"The nurse says today, actually," Logan says.

"Oh that's great!" Patton exclaims.

Logan and Virgil both nod.

"I'm sick of this place. I want my bed back," Virgil says.

"Yeah, it must suck staying here. But at least you have your pillows and stuff," Patton says in an attempt to stay positive.

Virgil shrugs. Just then, the nurse enters for one final checkup before letting Logan and Virgil leave the office for the first time in what felt like centuries. Finally, it was time for them to return to school, for better or for worse.

Late againnnn sorry! I've just been exhausted this past week or so, with school and sports and homework. I don't get much time to write. But I hope y'all forgive me. Please feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments and have a lovely day/night you magnificent peep!