Chapter One: "A Fighter"

A Few Years Ago

Nestled within the heart of the Redwood Valley's forest, the Spring Equinox Festival was taking place. It was the time of year for new life and rebirth. This year it marked the current Alpha retiring into a Zeta Alpha. As a Zeta Alpha, his job was to watch over his generation of older pack members and help them transition under the new Alpha of the pack. They'd become the new defenders of the home territory, advisors to the new Alpha, and the teachers of the soon to be new puppies of the pack. While the next Alpha would rule over the entire pack and take on the burdens of keeping both his generation and the older generation together and happy. For they were more than just a pack. They were family. This was the year that Cliff's father retired to a Zeta Alpha and Cliff fought the other Alphas and won. So, he stepped into the role of the new Alpha and when presented with the Omegas of his age. He picked his mate. His chosen mate embracing her new title as a Luna Omega. It was a tradition that had never been broken. All packs around the world celebrated their new Alphas in the same way. As the years past, Cliff's pack watched as the new generation began to grow up. His son, Mark, among them. Along with his second in commands son, Sean.

The Zeta Alpha raised his hands high before a large bonfire to get the young puppies' attentions, telling them in a clear deep bellowing voice as the adults mated. "Gather close and listen! Let me tell you a story about the very first Spring Equinox and why werewolves celebrate it every year." One of the small human looking children blurted out with excitement. "We do it to eat bunnies!" The older Zeta members that were too old to breed laughed amongst themselves. The full moon had not fallen on the festival this year, allowing them all to remain human. The Zeta Alpha chuckled, then tapped the nose of the little girl as he told them all. "The Easter Bunny isn't the only reason. He's a different story entirely. This story takes place before the Easter Bunny. No. Our story starts in the sky. It starts with the lady of the moon. Lady Luna and the First Alpha." A young Mark leaned forward, chuckling out. "Is this a scary story Grandpa? Does it have monsters? I like monsters." The Zeta members chuckled more, before the Zeta Alpha shushed him and said with a grin. "It's about all of us. Back in a time when the first humans were created, and their hearts were not blessed with the beast. A young boy was created by the Lady of Life and in a small village of others like him, he grew up strong and wise. He was strong because he worked the fields. He was wise because he listened to the experiences of those that came before him and did not make their mistakes. In time, he grew up to be a fine leader. Uniting the villages around his own and sharing his knowledge with all that would listen."

The Zeta Alpha handed out leather bracelets to all the children, continuing warmly. "He taught them how to work the land and nurture the animals. He was beloved by his people. So much so that the Lady of Life granted him a gift. The gift of divine beauty and she told him to go forth with his new beauty and chose a mate from anyone he desired. Whether it be man or female. She told him that she'd bless their union with the ability to create children. Someone he could teach and pass on his wisdom. So that when he passed on to the next life, his knowledge and kindness would live on in his descendants. Thanking her, he set out to find a mate. Alas, he could not find anyone that he wanted to spend his life with. There were so many good people that he just couldn't narrow them down. Until one night, the moon vanished from the sky." The kid's eyes all widened at that, while the Zeta members helped to buckle on their new bracelets. The Zeta Alpha nodded, telling them swiftly. "Oh, yes. For you see. The Moon you all look up and see each night. Is the great eye of Lady Luna. The man's beauty was so beautiful that the moment she saw him that night, she fell deeply in love with him. To the man, it wasn't her beauty that drew him to her. It was her smell. It was like nothing he'd ever smelled. It calmed him. It gave him goosebumps. He could feel to his core that she was the one for him."