Chapter Twenty-Four: "A Bark Worse Than A Bite"

Sean tried not to shake as the doctor drew blood from his arm. When the doctor finished, he told Sean in a comforting tone of voice. "Alright. I'll run this down to the lab really quick. Could take a few minutes or a few hours. Depending on how many other tests they are running today. Just wait here." Sean nodded, rubbing his arm anxiously. Just as the doctor left, Sean got up and started to pace in front of the window. His hands were shaking, and his heart was racing. Hugging himself, he inhaled slow and deep as he tried to pace at a slow walk. His mind was a whirlwind of thoughts. What would he do if he was pregnant? Who should he tell first? His parents? Mark? Stopping to look out the window, he stared out at the uniformed homes of the Valley. Compared to the chaos of the City, the Valley was so... calm. Putting his hands on the windowsill, he watched people going about their peaceful lives. Sighing, he faintly saw his reflection in the glass and asked himself softly. "What do you want...? Why are you so restless?" Bowing his head, he sank to his knees and rested his chin on his arms. Watching other people helped him relax.

They knew what they wanted and who they wanted to be. Why was it so hard for him? Sniffling a little, he felt his eyes brim with tears that threatened to fall. He didn't know why... but he felt scared. It wasn't just the fear of being pregnant, it went deeper than that. He was afraid for his future. The unknown. Fighting back the tears, he managed to calm himself before his tears could fall. Someone knocked on the door softly, causing him to scramble up to his feet. The doctor slipped back in with a clipboard, telling him gently. "Your parents have just arrived. I told them to wait in the waiting room." Sean nodded; his throat was too tight to say anything. He was thankful that he'd done that though. He didn't want his parents to hear this. The doctor gestured for Sean to sit. So, Sean dragged his feet across the tile floor to force himself to sit on the check-up table. The doctor then sat down and asked him curiously. "Before I get into the results. I'd like you ask you something. Have you gotten any blood transfusions? Had an injury that required someone else's blood to be put into you?" Sean shook his head, mumbling out shakily. "No... Why? What's wrong?"

The doctor reached out to pat his knee, calmly telling him. "It's nothing you really have to worry about. It's just that when they were testing your blood... there was a strange abnormality." Sean hugged himself and started biting his thumb as he muffled out. "Abnormality...?" The doctor typed something on his computer, before telling him. "It could be a mistake with our system... but if you are willing. We'd like to run another blood test." Sean bit his thumb a little hard but nodded and uttered out around his thumb. "Ya. Ok." The doctor smiled, getting up to prep another syringe. Shaking a little now, Sean blurted out impatiently. "So... The result?" The doctor stopped prepping the station, turning slowly to face him. Sean stared at him with wide eyes, feeling like he was going to pass out if he didn't hear it soon. Every fiber of his body was so tense that he felt as hard as stone. The doctor reached out to take Sean's wrist, pulling his thumb from his mouth, before answering with a calm warmth to his voice. "According to our test... there are early traces of the hormone in your blood." Sean didn't move or relax. He just shrugged subtly; he didn't understand.

The doctor gave him a small neutral smile, answering more clearly. "You are in the very early stages of pregnancy." Sean exhaled like someone had hit him in the gut. Gasping, he slipped off the table and went to the trash can. Leaning over the can, he tried to calm himself. His body wanted to be sick, but they rest of him was just lightheaded. Behind him, the doctor told him gently. "You don't have to worry. The kick you suffered didn't hurt anything. Judging by the hormone levels in your blood... the puppies are still only tiny eggs right now." Sean strained out over his shoulder. "Puppies...? You can tell that?" The doctor chuckled, informing him coolly. "No. But ninety-nine percent of Omegas produce a litter of at least two puppies. However, it does depend on the fertility of the mate and a few other factors. When I was growing up, a lot of Alphas and Betas were under a lot of distress due to tensions with the City Wolves. Which resulted in smaller sperm counts because testosterone levels were too high. With how peaceful the Valley has been over the last few years. The new generation, such as yourself, should start producing lots of healthy pups."