Chapter Six: "What He Wants"

Sean hugged the fox plushy to his chest. The influence of their powerful growls was making him weak in the knees. Falling back against the wall, he slid down the wall to sit down. He could barely breathe, but he reached out to smack the glass door to try and get his parents attention. Staring out across the yard, he watched Nathan transform into a sleek black wolf with such dark eyes that he was frightening to look at. Mark stalked closer, baring his canines as his hackles rose. Nathan's claws curled out and Mark responded in kind. They started to circle each other, when Sean's dad opened the screen door and yelled out. "Honey!" His dad jumped out to stand by Sean. From the house, Sean's mother ran out the door and yelled back to his dad. "Keep Sean back!" Sean got to his feet, yelling out to his mother. "MA, NO!" She leapt over the firepit and rushed out onto the lawn, yelling out in a commanding voice. "KNOCK IT OFF!" Mark and Nathan didn't listen. Instead, Mark lunged out at Nathan! Sean tensed, taking a step out to join his mom, but his dad grabbed his arms to hold him back at safe distance. As Mark lunged for Nathan's neck, Nathan swatted him across the face to knock him down to all fours. Mark dropped to all fours, then sprang back to tackle Nathan.

The two of them flipped and rolled across the grass. Their growls and their snapping jaws filling the air. His mom rushed in to grab Mark by the scruff of his neck to pull him back, but Nathan just took the advantage to snap his jaws on Mark's shoulder. His mom released mark, letting them both rise to their feet. Nathan thrashed his head, trying to tear flesh from bone. Mark yelped, but his hands slashed out at Nathan's chest as he tried to push him backward to knock him off balance. Nathan grabbed Mark's arms, yanking Mark off balance instead as tossed him to the ground. Nathan dropped over Mark, but Mark's legs came up to slam against Nathan's hips to flip him over him. Nathan released Mark's shoulder, falling across the grass. Mark rolled over as Nathan rolled over. They growled at each other, their claws digging into the dirt. Sean's mom rushed in to grab the scruff of Nathan's neck, trying to pin him down to the ground as she snapped out. "THAT IS ENOUGH!" This time Mark lunged in to bite Nathan's shoulder. Frustrated, Nathan jerked up, swatting Sean's mom hard across the stomach with the side of his arm. Sean screamed as his mom was hit so hard that she was knocked clear off the ground and sent into the raised garden bed.

Mark released Nathan's neck, his attention going from Sean to his mother in sudden shock. Nathan didn't hesitate to Sean's outburst; he jerked his head to snap his jaws down on Mark's ear. Nathan's claws then dug into Mark's sides with intent to seriously hurt him! Most Rut fights ended when one submitted... they weren't fights to the death. Mark began to whimper, slashing at any part of Nathan that he could. Nathan dragged Mark down by his ear and slammed a paw down on Mark's ribs. The loud 'CRACK' and Mark's tormented squeals triggered something in Sean. Pulling from his dad, Sean ran across the grass as Nathan released Mark's ear and bared his teeth to go for his throat! Sean jumped with the intent to push Nathan away before he killed him. On the fly, Sean felt a rage take hold of him and he decided to use it to end this. His hands slammed into Nathan's side, sending Nathan right through the fence! Nathan rolled back up to his feet, turning to face him with a powerful snarl. Sean felt the influence of it, but let out a growl of his own. Nathan stopped growling, looking him over with sudden submissive eyes, before lowering his head in submission. When Nathan lifted his head, he ran back into the yard to grab his clothes, before leaping over the fence and vanishing.

Sean let himself calm down, noticing the silvery grey fur fading from his arms. Had he transformed without realizing it? As his anger faded, Sean fell to his knees. His body felt weak from exhaustion. He had never transformed without a full moon before. Leaning forward on all fours, Sean panted heavily. His father rushed up behind him, asking in a panic. "Sean?! Are you alright?! What were you thinking?! He could have killed you!" Sean shrugged, mumbling out breathlessly. "I... I don't know..." From the garden bed, his mother got to her feet, limping a bit as she panted out. "Honey...? Get my phone... I need to call the lead Alpha." Sean's dad nodded, his eyes torn between his wife and Mark, but he turned to run back inside the house. Sean looked at Mark and swallowed. Mark was laying across the grass in his human form. He was covered in cuts that were bleeding and he looked just a exhausted as himself. Had he ever transformed like that before? Sean's mom made her way over, rubbing Sean's back as she asked him. "Are you ok?" Sean nodded, pointing to Mark. His mom limped over to Mark, carefully picking him up as she told him. "He'll be ok. Help me get him inside."