Chapter Twenty-Nine: "Family Secrets"

Sean continued to watch the TV, until he finally drifted off to sleep. It was hard to resist Mark's warm body heat and his scent was smoothing to his nose. The combination seemed to give him the most pleasant dreams he had in a while. He dreamed of simply walking around in a dense forest in the fall. Taking in all the sights and sounds before finding a cave to curl up in to watch the rain. He could have stayed within the dream for hours watching the orange streaks rise across a deep blue sky. However, the loud rattling of a cart woke him. Opening his eyes, Sean whined a little in surprise. His face was buried against Mark's chest and Mark's arm was wrapped more protectively around him. Hearing his whine, Mark lifted his arm off Sean's shoulder and purred into his ear. "You ok? Did I crush you?" Sean blushed, snuggling into Mark's chest more to hide his face, but shook his head. He could feel the cold air touching him where Mark's arm left, prompting him to stay where it was warm. He'd just been a little surprised that he'd gotten into this position. Mark's hand ran through his hair, whispering to him in a deep loving voice. "Good morning, Sean."

Sean just hummed to him, trying to go back to sleep. While a gentle voice told Mark. "Good morning, Mr. Fischbach. Ready for some breakfast?" Mark growled a little, grumbling out. "I'd rather order out." The person chuckled, telling him lightly. "I know but this stuff is good for you." Mark huffed, shooting back. "Drugged, you mean." Sean contained his laugh, hiding his grin. The person's voice was a bit dry when he told him. "It's not drugged. It's just... It's easy to chew and keep down." Mark picked something up and sniffed it, then dropped it back on a tray to growl out. "Smells like it was made in a plastic jug and has no flavor. Pass." The person sighed heavily, before retorting. "You need to eat. It's the only way to get your strength back." Mark huffed, telling the person a bit snippy. "I won't get my strength back eating chalk. Give me flavors! Give me stuff that makes me WANT to eat, damn it! What you give me tastes like nothing and goes down like air! I'd rather have stale bread!" The person set a tray down on something, snapping back sternly. "Eat something! I'm not going to have your parents baring down on my neck because you are picky!"

Mark growled, prompting a growl from the other man. Finally sitting up, Sean slipped in coolly. "I'll make sure he eats." The young Alpha nurse snorted, grumbling out. "He better." Mark growled a bit more as the man pushed his cart out. Sean looked at the little tray of food that sat on a small table attached to the bed. Pulling the table over Mark's lap, Sean sniffed it for himself and gagged. It smelled like bland paste with bits of bland oatmeal made as Mark said... it a plastic container. Mark chuckled, gesturing to the food as he smugly told him. "Go on. Eat it." Sean locked eyes with Mark, before taking the tray and slipping from the bed. Walking to the window, he tossed the food out and told Mark flatly. "I wouldn't bury that shit. That's bird food." Mark laughed as Sean returned the tray. Smirking, Sean told him without looking into his eyes. "I can make you some soup. But I'm rusty... it will still be better than this stuff though. You'll be able to keep it down and get your strength back. You still like chicken and dumplings?" Mark's hand reached out to take his wrist, saying a little surprised. "Rusty? Didn't you love to cook for your family?"

Sean looked down at Mark's hand, mumbling out. "I did... but I stopped." Mark's thumb rubbed the back of Sean's hand, when he said softly. "I really did a number on you, didn't I...? Sean, I'm so sorry." Sean shook his head, smiling just a little when he told him in a wispy voice still without looking at him. "You were my first love. You were bound to leave the most scars..." Mark tried to lighten the mood by asking sweetly. "First? There were others?" Sean chuckled, his cheeks burning when he shyly mumbled out. "Well... I had my TV crushes. A few book crushes. They helped me recover in pieces. It's a slow process to figure out what I love and hate about people. What I'd do for them..." Mark very cautiously pulled his hand a little and Sean moved closer. Finally looking up at him, Mark told him with fragile eyes. "If I could go back... I'd change everything I said to you..." Sean sighed, leaning over Mark to brace his hands over his shoulders. Bringing his face close to his, Sean told him in a relaxed and loving voice. "As much as it hurt... I'm glad you did. What you did... It brought me closer to my parents. It showed me that I can endure heartache. It taught me that I don't NEED you. I can survive without you. I just choice not to, because I love you. I have nothing to prove to you and you have nothing to prove to me. We are just... good together. I miss us. I miss my best friend..."