Chapter Nineteen: "City Life"

Sean felt more relaxed on a bike this time around. He didn't hold on as tightly and actually took in the scenery as it passed. He really wanted a bike now. It just felt so amazing to feel the wind wash over him. It blew all his worries and stress away. Nathan drove faster than Bill around the turns, but Sean liked that. He wanted to go faster. To chase that feeling of riding the wind. When Nathan encountered traffic, he sped up to weave between the cars. The cars honked and people called Nathan fowl names. Nathan ignored them by revving his engine louder. Sean let out a howl of excitement. Nathan only stopped at lights that other cars were at. Otherwise, he blew through every light and ignored all road signs. He judged the road on his own instincts. Sean giggled at how strange it was to ignore those simple rules. He felt like he was going to get in trouble, but Nathan wasn't the least bit concerned about that. Turning toward the gate, Sean yelped and buried his face against Nathan's back. The large fence that bordered the Valley had a gate that was guarded by two Alphas. The gate had to slide open to let people in or out. The gate was slow moving. Although, the Alphas clearly saw Nathan do this enough that they hit the button to let him out the moment they saw his blinker come on.

The gate barely opened enough to let the bike through, but Nathan surged right through it without stopping. The road after the gate was a straightaway and Nathan shifted gears to go faster. Sean squealed. He'd never gone so fast in his life. Clinging to Nathan, his heart raced in his ribs. Nathan was booking it at over ninety miles an hour. The small hills along the road made Sean cling tighter to Nate as he rose off the seat and got a rush of butterflies in his stomach. It was a rush like no other. Just as the sign for the city rushed by, Nathan began to slow down a little. The city drew Sean's full attention. He had imagined what it would look like, but he had been wrong. The city had tall buildings with large neon signs on them. They had larger malls and attractions that he'd never seen in the Valley. There were no homes like the ones he knew. Instead, there were buildings with small balconies and levels of windows. Were they the apartments that Nathan mentioned? Some of the apartments had clotheslines up with laundry. Others had grills where people were smoking and drinking together. The people on the street were so different from the Valley too.

The people looked scruffier. They didn't seem to care how they dressed or what their hair looked like. The most attractive people stood on the street corners and teased passing people to get their attention. Almost everyone here either walked or rode motorcycles. The bars and clubs were packed, and it wasn't even late yet. As Nathan drove by a few people called out to him and Nathan greeted them. Sean scooted closer to Nathan as he saw some people making out in public or pulling others into alleyways to mate in the shadows. It wasn't at all what he was used too. On occasion he saw a fight between Alphas and Betas break out, but no one separated them. They cheered them on until one was left bloody. Nathan slowly pulled up into a single row of parking spaces before a building of apartments. Sean climbed off the bike, asking nervously. "Do you live here?" Nathan nodded, taking his hand and quickly rushing him into the lobby. Sean noticed Nathan growling to a few Betas that lingered by the door, before quickly wrapping an arm around him and escorting him into an elevator. The elevator was a bit small, but it worked just fine and didn't have any weird smells.

While waiting for the elevator to go up to his floor, Sean asked him gently. "Why did you growl at those Betas outside?" Nate shuffled his feet, mumbling out in response. "They smelled you. Luckily, your scent is on me. So, they think it is just me coming back from the Valley... but they've never smelled an Omega before. And for your safety... You shouldn't tell them and disguise your scent as soon as possible. I've got scent blockers in my room that you can use." Sean swallowed, asking curiously. "You use Scent blockers?" Nathan chuckled, admitting under his breath. "I use them to cover my Rutting scent. Fights are a big issue here. If anyone here gets a whiff that your Rutting... They take it as a personal challenge. A way to burn off energy." Sean smirked, telling him softly. "They ever hear of a gym?" Nathan laughed softly, replying bluntly. "Sex, drugs, and fighting are the only outlets here." The elevator dinged and Nathan stepped out to lead him down the long hallway. Sean cringed as he passed the different rooms on each side of the hallway. Nathan wasn't kidding. He could hear people partying loudly and could smell the cigarette smoke. He could hear people throwing things and yelling in some rooms. While loud moans accompanied by soft banging came from other rooms.