Chapter Five: "The Big City Wolf"

Sean cautiously made his way down the steps. Gesturing for Nathan to follow, he told him a little shyly. "This way." Sean's mom let out a throaty growl as Nathan slipped around her. Nathan avoided her eyes to keep from accepting her challenge, following Sean through the living room. His dad tapped Sean's shoulder, coaxing the plushy fox from his hands as he told him softly. "I'll warm him up for you." Sean handed the plushy off, going to the sliding glass door to push it open. When Sean looked back to see if Nathan was following, he saw him looking around at everything like he was impressed by it. Leaning back against the frame of the door, Sean asked him gently. "Do they not have houses like this in the city?" Nathan shook his head, answering casually as he approached him. "Not like this. We have apartment buildings. They aren't designed anything like this." Sean raised an eyebrow, questioning softly. "What are they like?" Nathan reached past him to slide the screen open, upon answering with a smile. "They are... probably what you'd call a large room." Sean inhaled Nathan's scent, his mind getting a little fuzzy from it. Quickly stepping outside in the hopes that the fresh air would dilute his scent, he bashfully mumbled out. "Sounds like you don't have a lot of room in the city."

Nathan followed him out, sliding the screen door shut as he replied nonchalantly. "Well... How much room does one person need, really?" Sean absently made his way out under the backyard's wooden awning. The light breezy tan curtains were tied back to the posts since no one was out here, but usually they were closed to keep the bugs out and to shade the area nicely from the intense sun on sunny summer days. Nathan stumbled a bit as he looked out at their yard, stating aloud. "Holy shit... I knew you Valley types had yards, but... Wow." Sean shuffled his feet and looked around the backyard. He didn't think it was anything really special. Here in the Valley this was normal. Everyone had yards similar to it. Under the awning was a little stone firepit with plush wicker chairs around it. At the far side of the awning was a small outdoor brick kitchen to grill or make outdoor foods. Farther out in the yard was a narrow in ground pool with a jacuzzi on one side. While the other had his mom's raised garden and a hammock to lounge in. The entire yard was surrounded in a high wooden fence. Then around the fence and awning were hanging twinkling lights that could be turned on for extra lighting at night.

Nathan chuckled as he explored around the yard, grinning out. "In the city, we are lucky to get a balcony. You guys are pampered." Sean rubbed his neck a bit anxiously, asking guiltily. "You say that like it is a bad thing." Nathan shook his head, retorting quickly. "Oh, no. I mean no offense by it. It has just been a long time since I've seen a pack like this." Sean moved to stand by an awning post, putting a little distance between himself and Nathan. Wrapping an arm around the post, Sean played with the curtain tie, curiously questioning him. "Don't you have a pack? Back at the school, you said...?" Nathan rested his arms on the back of a chair by the firepit, shrugging out honestly. "It's not the same. We aren't close. We are more like a group of people that gets together occasionally. Most of the time, we are out doing our own things. We look out for ourselves." Sean couldn't help smiling as he saw Nathan sway his hips a little like he was wagging a tail. Looking away, he told him softly. "How does that work? Don't you have a lead Alpha that sets rules for everyone?" Nathan rolled his eyes, moving away from the chair to walk across the yard as he told him. "Oh sure. We have a lead Alpha like everyone. But our lead Alpha doesn't set rules like others do. If we have problems, we are expected to handle it ourselves. Makes us wise and strong. Independent."

Nathan jumped up the raised garden wall, making Sean cringe. His mom had never let him do that. Jogging over, Sean tried to beckon him down before his mom saw him, saying a bit grimly. "I guess with no Omegas to protect... Alphas and Betas are free to be themselves then?" Nathan hopped down in front of him, leaning in close to purr to him in a smooth voice that made Sean blush. "I wouldn't say that... Omegas like you are just too clever to be runaways." Sean crossed his arms, uttering out a little defensively. "You're pulling my leg, aren't you?" Nathan shook his head, staring into his eyes to reply without hesitation. "Now why would I do a thing like that?" Nathan circled him slowly, whispering to him in a playful tone. "What reason does an Omega have leave their pack? You have guys like me wrapped around your finger... With the snap of your fingers, you can have me on all fours." Sean shuffled his feet, watching Nathan circle him. Their eyes locked on each other, until Sean was feeling a little breathless. Shaking his head, Sean whispered back as Nathan stopped circling him. "You're wrong. No Alpha or Beta would lower themselves that much. It ruins their reputation as big badass dogs."