Chapter Seventeen: "Need For Escape"

Taking a deep breath, Sean tried to shake off Ethan's words as a cook waved him over. Walking up to him, the cook directed him to one of the tables. Taking the tray of food, Sean delivered to a family with a smile and quietly moved on. Snatching a napkin, he rubbed it across his neck subconsciously as he handed the key back to Mrs. Storm. She accepted the key, then grabbed his wrist to ask him with a chuckle. "Not sweating already, are you?" Shaking his head, he said politely. "No, ma'am. I just... I feel like I should have showered before this." Mrs. Storm stood, leaning in to sniff him. He cringed, but Mrs. Storm just shrugged and told him. "You smell fine to me. Like paint and car wash soap." Sean chuckled a little, until he heard Ethan's laughter. Mrs. Storm's eyes drifted from him to them, before whispering closer to his shoulder. "You do smell a bit like a Beta, but that isn't a bad thing around here. Just focus on your work." She released him and he nodded. Whirling around on his heels, he set to work helping to deliver food to families that came in and helping them put up the bumpers on their lanes. Business was slow at first, but a few early risers slipped in for a few games to kill time.

By lunch, things picked up more. A birthday party was coming, and Sean realized why Mrs. Storm had wanted him to work so soon. It was a big group on top of the lunch rush. He rose to the challenge. Checking on the birthday party every chance he got between delivering food and drinks to other tables. There was another server that staggered in late, yelling out to Mrs. Storm over the noise. "Sorry, I'm late! Adam was-" Mrs. Storm waved a hand at her, rushing out as she gestured to Sean. "Ruby, this is Sean! Sean, Ruby!" Sean briefly waved, racing off to take two trays. Ruby rushed up to him, asking quickly. "Need anything?" Sean panted but delivered the trays, telling her nicely. "The birthday party is waiting on fries. Can you get that? I 've got to make my round to the bar." Ruby saluted him, then slipped through the crowd to help him with the orders. Taking the beers from the bar to a group of Betas at one of the lanes, Sean glanced at Mrs. Storm. She was getting bowling shoes for more people and Sean tried to breathe. He could do this. Ducking under one of Ruby's trays, she told him in a firm Beta tone of voice that could be heard over the crowd. "Sean! Lane one's order!"

Sean gave her a thumbs up and slipped through the crowd to the food window to take the tray. Raising it over his head, he quickly made his way through the crowd as Ruby moved to take two peoples orders by memory. Making his way to lane one, he set the tray on the table, then collected their empty cups onto their previous tray. As one of the Omega's rushed up to take the food, she told him a bit snarkily. "Hey, our lane is fucking up." Sean locked eyes with her, his voice numb when he asked. "In what way?" She pointed at the monitor before the ball return, telling him lazily. "I don't know. Isn't that YOUR job." The other Omegas chuckled, before Sean tried to drown them out by asking more clearly. "What were you trying to do?" She took a bite of a fry, then mumbled out. "Trying to order something from the kitchen and the screen froze." Sighing to himself, he moved around the table and went down to their screen. The screen was frozen on the kitchen menu, but it was an easy fix. While he reset the menu, Ethan moved up next to him to take his bowling ball off the ball return. Looking over the ball, Ethan purred out to him dryly. "Tell us, Sean. Because we are dying to know... Who's baby is it? Bill's? Or Nathan's?"

Sean finished resetting the screen and told them in a droning voice how not to freeze it in the future. As he turned to leave, the female Omega stood in his way and purred out. "My money is on Nathan. He's been all over you since he arrived." Sean stepped around her, when Ethan called out to his back. "Can you at least turn Mark down so that the rest of us can make him happy? The future of the pack rests on him and you don't even fucking care! You broke tradition! And Mark let you get away with it! He wouldn't have done that for US!" Unable to stop himself, Sean turned to face him and retorted icily. "Whine. Bitch. And moan, Ethan. It won't chance the fact that your body peaked when your scent came in... and despite every Alpha on the football team telling you how cute you were. Mark STILL didn't want you because he didn't get popular by sucking dick." The Betas and Alphas within earshot practically choked on their drinks and food. Sean flicked off Ethan, adding flatly. "Oops. Was I supposed to keep that a secret? I overheard a little birdy mention it." Sean turned to walk away, and Ethan let out a sharp distressed growl as he ran straight for him.