Chapter Forty: "This Means War"

As shaken up as Sean was, he followed the medics to the ambulance. The medics got her in and when one of them gestured for Sean to climb in, he did without hesitation. When Mark tried to follow, his dad held him back and told them coolly. "No. I'll drive us. This is his job." Sean didn't even piece that together. He was just worried about Isabelle and didn't want her to be alone. The ambulance siren flared and started to race through the rain, while the medics kept checking her vitals and pumped air down her throat. Sean could only watch and listen to them. On occasion, he answered questions that he knew about her to help them keep from giving her medication that could kill her. Having babysat her a few times, he knew quite a bit since her mother always made him recite it before leaving him with her. Reaching the hospital, they hopped out and raced her to the emergency room. Sean followed them until they stopped him. Escorting him to a viewing room, he watched through a soundproof glass as the doctors took over. He paced the room like a caged animal. Waiting to see how the surgery would play out. Had they gotten to her in time?

One of the nurses slipped into the room with him, asking gently. "Are you alright?" Sean stopped long enough for him to point at his soaking wet appearance. Looking down at his white robe, he saw why he was concerned. The front of his robe and hands were stained in her blood. Swallowing, he stammered out. "I'm... I'm ok. It's not mine." The nurse moved closer to him, and Sean realized who he was talking to. The nurse was Matthew. Matthew set a medic bag on a chair, inching closer as he asked cautiously. "Mind if I check?" Sean shook his head, holding out his arms for him to see. Matthew looked over his arms and his robes. Then touched places along his torso before asking him nicely. "Would you like to shower? We've got some spare work clothes that you can wear." Sean looked to Isabelle, prompting Matthew to tell him gently. "She could be in there for a while. Come on. You're soaked and she won't want to see you like that." Sean couldn't deny that. Nodding, he reluctantly followed Matthew out and into a staff area. Taking a towel and some spare nurse scrubs, he led him into the locker room. Opening a curtain for one of the six shower stalls, Matthew told him sweetly. "I'll leave these on the sink. I have a few things to do in the locker room. So, if you need anything, just call me. The little bottles there have shampoo and body wash. Help yourself."

Sean nodded, then carefully removed his wet flower crown to set it in the sink. Stepping into the tile shower, he closed the long curtain and pried his robe off. The hot water felt really good against his cold skin but seeing the blood circle the drain made him uneasy. It bothered him to enjoy this, knowing that Isabelle was fighting for her life. He washed himself as quickly as he could to remove the blood and mud. Then stepped out to dry off and changed into the baby blue nurse scrubs. They were light and more comfortable than they looked. It felt good to wear proper clothes again. Even if he wasn't used to not wearing underwear... He at least wouldn't flash anyone now. Making his way back out into the locker room, Matthew quickly put his robe and crown into a laundry bag and handed him some nurse slippers. They were a bit big for him, but they at least kept his feet off the cold floor. Putting the laundry bag aside, Matthew told him coolly. "We'll take care of this and get it back to you. Don't want to scare the puppies we have here for check-ups. Are you thirsty?" Sean shook his head, but Matthew smiled and told him. "I'm gonna get a diet coke. You wanna come with? I can check on her condition for you?" To that, Sean nodded. He wanted to know how she was more than anything.

Leading him out into the waiting area at the front of the hospital, he told him to take a seat and approached the counter. Sean didn't want to sit but he did. His legs felt too shaky after his shower. Sitting on the floor of the waiting area, a little girl hugged her fox toy plush close and asked him with a smile. "Are you ok? Are you sick?" Her father cleared his throat, stating firmly. "Jocelyn! You don't ask people that." Sean smirked, telling her a bit fragilely. "No. I'm not. But a friend of mine is." The little girl flashed him a charming smile, telling him confidently. "Don't worry. They fix people here. They fixed mommy after she ate a seed that grew in her." Sean raised an eyebrow, listening to the father snort to himself. When he looked at the man, the man corrected with a blush. "She had a puppy. I'm waiting to see her and her little brother." Sean smiled, watching the little girl ask him. "Did your friend eat a seed too?" Giggling a little, he told her lightly. "No. She got hurt." Sean didn't know if he wanted to go into more detail if she asked but he was saved by Matthew calling his name. Rushing up to the counter, Matthew told him very softly. "She just got out of surgery, and they are moving her to a recovery room now."