Chapter Seven: "Something Wild"

Sean snuggled into his bowl chair feeling discontent. His stomach was in knots and his heart felt so broken that he wanted to cry. Staring blankly into the void of his chair, he tried to hide from the world within his cold blanket. He heard people take Mark away but didn't even have the motivation to watch him leave. As the house returned to its normal sounds, Sean tried to relax but his body was just surging with too many thoughts and emotions. At the sound of something by his door, he rolled over to peek out from his blanket. His dad gave him a small smile, then slowly closed the door as he moved inside. Sean whined, pulling the blanket down to hide his face again. He heard his dad sit by the chair, before telling him in a light tone of voice. "You could have at least watched him leave. The poor guy broke a rib for you. And I know his father is going to scowled him good for losing to a Beta..." Sean curled himself up under the blanket, mumbling out grimly. "He shouldn't have come." His dad huffed a little, replying sweetly. "You certainly made him feel like shite. He likes you. Can't you see that?" Sean sniffled, growling out under his breath. "How I'm I just supposed to forgive him? He didn't even have the balls to stay in contact with me as my friend! He didn't care then. Why should I care about him now!"

His dad sighed, then answered warmly. "Sean. Alphas and Betas... they don't grow into their emotions as fast as Omegas. When our scent comes in, our emotions become a strong part of us. It's a blessing and a curse. We feel deeply, but we can get hurt deeply. Alphas and Betas, they have emotion... but they don't dwell on them as much as we do. They are told not to show emotion. They see it as a weakness. Since they fight to protect us and the pack... They don't focus on expressing emotion as much as suppressing it." His dad shifted a little and lifted the blanket just a bit to look at him as he added casually. "Mark was in a lot of pain, but he refused to show just how badly he was hurt. He was trying to be strong for you. So, you wouldn't worry or feel like it was your fault." Sean hugged the blanket close to his chest, before uncovering his head for his dad to see him more clearly. His dad looked him in the eyes, informing him coolly. "I know he hurt you. And I can see you are trying to hurt him to keep yourself from getting hurt again... But ask yourself this. If he moves on to another Omega... Will you be happy?" Sean tensed, but didn't answer.

His dad stared him down, before looking away and telling him seriously. "I knew an Omega that played a dangerous game with the hearts of Alphas and Betas. They would push them away to see how many times they would come back. Over and over. Until eventually, the Alpha or Beta would stop trying and move on to someone else. The idea of making them work harder and harder to win your heart... it just doesn't work. You have to meet them halfway if you want to get anywhere. You have to bend a little and open yourself up." Sean sat up, grumbling out. "That's how you get hurt." His dad inhaled deeply, then faced him to say firmly. "Getting hurt is apart of life. If you steel yourself off, you're hurting yourself. If you give too much of yourself to someone, you'll get hurt. You have to learn to open up just enough to connect with someone. You have to trust your instincts and take your time getting to know someone. If you like him, but you aren't sure about him... just hang out with him in different situations. Let his actions speak for themselves. Because in the end... you're the one who will have to live with him or deal with the condition he leaves you in."

Sean hugged himself, asking nervously. "Why are you telling me this now?" His dad gave him another small smile, replying in a calm fatherly voice. "I don't want to tell you what to do with your life. You are smart enough to make your own choices. However... As a parent, it's my job to help you think of the future. I want you to be happy with the choices you make. And I see things that maybe you don't... You're my puppy. And I want you to be safe. So, I'm going to ask you this. Do you like that City Wolf?" Sean blushed a little, answering without looking at him. "Dad... I'm not going to talk about sires with you." His dad propped his head up with his hand, leaning on the edge of the chair as he said bluntly. "Why not? I won't tell anyone what you think of them. And you don't have to worry about me trying to mate with them. Hell, I've got more experience with horny wolves than any Omega at your school." Sean blushed a deeper red as a smile pulled at his lips. He couldn't argue with that. His dad had never lied to him before. His dad reached out to brush his knuckles down his cheek, asking in an inviting voice. "Talk to me. It's what I'm here for. You used to trust me with everything."