༻ 47 - Alternative Ending ༺

"The beauty of jade is the most precious."
- Jade by Lay Zhang

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Trigger warning: Blood, Death

A loud gasp escapes both Seonghwa and Jihyun simultaneously. Yunho blinks a few times before it registers with him.

Hongjoong falls to his knees and then onto his back against the stairs and clutches his chest tightly, but the blood still pours out between his fingers. Both Seonghwa and Jihyun dash to his side.

"J-Joong! I didn't actually mean to-, I'm so sorry! I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," Seonghwa blurts in one breath, unable to control his rapid breathing. Hongjoong bites his lip. "I-I can't believe you really betrayed me and shot me," he gasps, hand tightening over his chest.

"I really wasn't thinking, I'm so so-" Seonghwa frantically breathes.

"You're the only person who's allowed to shoot me so consider yourself lucky. What's done is done, enough crying," Hongjoong giggles sadly. Seonghwa hurriedly wipes his tears but still hangs his head in shame.

"I'll get Yeosang," he mutters before running away. Hongjoong scoffs. "He's always been a big baby no matter what," he smiles endearingly while they watch Seonghwa sprint away. A bitter chuckle escapes him. How cruel- his best friend has saved his life countless times in the past, and now he'll be the one to take it too. He can't really blame him though, this was going to happen eventually and he's nearly grateful that Seonghwa is the one to do this, rather than anyone else.

He finally drops his gun in defeat, understanding how hopeless it is to fight back at last. The sharp pain in his chest from the sudden betrayal disperses gradually.

Hongjoong's attention now returns to Jihyun. "Now that we're about to be separated again, could you at least tell me where Jangmi is? How is she doing? Is she happy? Is she safe?" he asks Jihyun. Her lips wobbles as she watches her brother desperately ask about her while he winces in pain every few seconds. Watching his face like this up close breaks down her barrier. She can't hold it in any longer.

She finally bursts out crying. Hongjoong's eyes widen. "She's alright, isn't she?" he panics. He breathes so quickly even though it's a difficult task for him now.

"I-I am Jangmi," she stutters. She leans forward and places a hand on Hongjoong's cheek. "Why have you become like this, brother?" she sobs. His mouth drops open. "But you're Jihyun?" he questions. She laughs in between the tears. "Dad legally changed my name as soon as you killed mommy," she explains while her heart scrunches.

At last, Hongjoong realises. "Jangmi," he whispers as he grabs her hand with his free hand. "If it's really you...I'm sorry," he squeaks, now joining his sister with his tears.

She jumps in and hugs him lightly and cries into his shoulder. "I missed you so much but you've become such a horrible person," she complains. He pats her back with his free hand. "Jangmi- I mean Jihyun, I've always been a horrible person ever since birth. There's a reason mom and dad hated me," he sadly admits.

She pulls back and punches his arm. "Shut up! You were such a nice brother, but now you hurt me and the people I love and it's no fair. How are you going to make it up to me like this?" she slumps, mostly just upset by seeing her brother this injured. Hongjoong now feels guilt poke at his consciousness for the first time as he watches his sister. She's right, he's hurt her so much even though all he wanted was to be a good brother to his only sister. He nearly pushed her to death all while praying his sister is alive and well.