Day Three

He finds himself staring at one of the lifeless horses on the rusted carousel, his father's words echoing in his mind

He finds himself staring at one of the lifeless horses on the rusted carousel, his father's words echoing in his mind. One day, you'll be the best. Maybe even a better man than me.

He didn't believe them then, and he believed them less now. Part of him hoped that this mission would be the last one he'd have to go on, that this could be the one to finally save humanity and him from himself, and the other part hoped that he could live long enough to maybe see his father's words come true.

You must've been asleep for at least two hours now. He could hear your rhythmic breathing just off to his side. You had situated yourself between the black horse and the stairs that led up to the second level of the ride, at just the perfect angle where he could catch a glimpse of you incase trouble arrived again.

Bucky's eyes trailed from your backpack and to your gloved hands which were wrapped tightly around your knees. You trembled from the cold and Bucky cursed as he turned himself onto his back again, wondering when he had gone from Avenger to babysitter.

He hated this and he hated your attempt at conciliating. This wasn't a field trip, this was a walk into hell.

He closed his eyes and hoped that sleep would finally take him in.

+ + +

Bucky hadn't spoken a word to you since you left the amusement park, which was about five hours ago. You had thought you had seen the worst of his attitude when he was throwing insults at you or unamused glances, but this was much worse.

When you needed to stop for some water, he only slowed down his pace. When you needed to retie your boots, he didn't slow down at all.

You tried to make small talk at one point and he had ignored you completely, tightening the straps on his backpack.

Maybe Bucky was right, maybe there was no point in trying to make a friendship out of this, especially if he had no plan even coming out of it alive.

You wanted to play therapist as later afternoon came around. Climbing over a steep hill and some thorny bushes, you looked over at his pretty face hidden under his dark hood, you considered asking him why he was so disappointed when there was still so much he could still see and do.

You were about to as you both came over the hill when he stopped, and his right arm stretched out, stopping you too.

Your heart drops. This was everything you were expecting, yet it was incomparable to what you had imagined in your head. The City stood tall in the distance. You felt like it had been centuries since you've seen something so beautiful, the feeling almost making you want to cry. Your parent's creation.

But then you looked over and saw the look of fear in Bucky's eyes, and you remembered what the people in this place actually had; what they had taken and what they stood for. While it was breathtaking, the huge cemented wall surrounding it only reminded you both that it was a life that people like you did not deserve.