Saved

You opened your eyes to the sound of crickets and the rustling of leaves from underneath you

You opened your eyes to the sound of crickets and the rustling of leaves from underneath you. You felt a sharp pain in your left leg as you tried to sit up to see what happened. You groaned, only managing to pull yourself up slightly to see the tips of your boots. You lean back on your elbows and frantically start looking around.

Your neck is a bit stiff as you turn it from side to side, but you're thankful it doesn't take too long to realize you had fallen down a very steep cliff. The heavy mud under your feet indicating that you had slipped. You curse yourself for not being more careful.

Pulling yourself up and close to a small tree next to the running creek, you wince at the pain that shoots through your hand. You pull it back to your chest immediately, cringing. You had forgotten about your open wound. Trying not to aggregate it too much, you finally maneuver yourself until your back is up against the slightly wet bark.

It's then that you see how dark it is and realize you must've been out cold for at least a couple of hours. You reach your hand up to the back of your head, grimacing and trying to find an injury that might've been caused by the fall.

You must have hit your head pretty hard.

After long seconds of searching your scalp for blood or pain, you give up in exhaustion, dropping your arm down on your thigh. You began to worry as hunger and pain crept up your body. You were slowly starting to doubt even more that you would reach The Capitol successfully.

Throwing your head back against the tree, you take a deep breath and hope for some well-needed rest. You also hoped your leg wasn't hurt too bad. You were too scared to bend it and find out, worrying that the answer would make you give up once and for all.

The crickets have gotten louder and so had the sound of the water flowing down the river.

It's silent until suddenly, it isn't.

You hear a heavy ruffle of grass and twigs and you feel your heart beating away quickly in your chest. You only have to look slightly to your right to see one of your worst fears approaching you from within the shadows.

It's an older man, maybe mid-forties, and average height. He's limping and he looks very pale. There's a desperate look in his caved eyes. It doesn't take too long for you to actually see what you were looking at it.

And judging by the dark black/green substance over his lower stomach and on his arm, it wasn't hard to tell that he was infected.

And he was making his way over to you.

Your sense of pity quickly turned into fear and you tried to back away as much as you possibly could without triggering any pain. Your breathing picked up as did his limping, his dark eyes not leaving your body.

"Please, please." He was begging, his voice hoarse.

You swallowed thickly, torn between wanting to be a good person and help, or trying to run away to save yourself. But you knew that even if you wanted to help him, you couldn't. He had no hope. He clearly knew this too by the look in his eyes.