Of Olives

You woke up the next morning to a sharp and warm ray of sunshine in the corner of your eye

You woke up the next morning to a sharp and warm ray of sunshine in the corner of your eye. The feeling of the soft sheets between your toes, as you stretched them out, felt unbelievably surreal. You hadn't forgotten where you were, but the reminder of it made you feel a kind of happiness that you knew you should be guilty for. Not ready to face the shine of a brand new day directly into your irises, you turn around onto your other side. You bring the heavy comforter up to your chin, eyes darting briefly to the empty spot where Bucky had slept next to you last night.

Sitting up halfway on one arm, you rubbed your eyes with your other hand. He wasn't in the main area, so he must've been in the bathroom or the kitchen. You knew for a fact that he wouldn't have any reason to leave until tonight when his part of the mission started.

You thanked him in your head for keeping all the lights still off. It was easy on your eyes and made it physically easier for you to climb to the other side of the bed and up onto your feet.

You were never a morning person.

You walked to the dinning area and saw that your plans from the previous night had been neatly stacked on the corner of the table. Across the room by the couches, the TV was on but with no sound. Your eyes furrowed together at the absurdly of it. You weren't going to lie, you were expecting The Capitol in Hydra's hands would be more of a North Korea type of situation. You weren't expecting them to willingly be showing reruns of I Love Lucy at — you look down at the digital clock — seven thirty AM.

"I made coffee, if you want some." The gruff voice came from behind you. You quickly turned around to see Bucky leaning against the side of the hallway that led into the kitchen. He was staring at you with a look you couldn't detect, but his eyes quickly darted up over your shoulder to what you had been looking at, "I was surprised, too."

You look back at the television with a smile and then followed him into the kitchen.

Bucky sat at the little breakfast nook in the corner reading what looked like a document as you sipped some delicious coffee. You practically cooed at how delightfully warm it made your insides.

It had been ages since you had some.

You looked up from your cup and back up at Bucky. His eyes were tightly knit together in concentration and you are reminded of your conversation you had yesterday. Steve's plan replays in your head and you feel happy that you finally got Bucky to open up about at least something. You decide then that this would be the perfect opportunity for you to offer an olive branch.

He barely looks up as you slide into the chair directly across from him.

You clear your throat, feeling a little more nervous now.

"I used to work at a diner before all this. That was my last job before the fall," you cup the warm mug in both hands, watching the swirls of light brown and the steam flow into the air, "this reminds me of the coffees I would make. It's nice."