Labor Pains

Two days later

Two days later.

You've been in absurd pain for three days, with each passing hour It getting worst and worst.

You were practically delirious at this point.

Your vision was cloudy from your body trying to go in and out of conscience. You knew you were in labor. It was too obvious. The pain was like cramps, but a million times more painful, and your cervix felt like it was on fire.

You just wanted it to end. 

Three days of this torture.

Your head rolled back and forth against the make makeshift pillow behind your skull.

For days you heard them whispering around you.

"This isn't normal."

"She's only three months along, I think. They think. It's too early."

"Three days is long for labor. That is too long."

"The baby—"

"The baby will be safe."

"...premature..."

"...no medicine..."

"...we are not prepared..."

You felt yourself trying to pass out again. You needed rest. Sleep. No more pain.

You wanted Bucky.

"Come on, look at me." You felt someone lightly, but determinedly, tap your cheeks.

Jessica.

The pain was too much. Too unbearable.

"It's too soon, Jessica."

Steve.

Jessica snaps her head around to look at Steve and Steve practically snarls.

"Can we talk outside real quick?" Jessica gives him a nod, knowing he's in for an earful but that he has just enough to give back and make a point.

Jessica turns back to you one more time, cleaning your forehead with a damp towel, before following Steve outside the tent.

"Stop scaring her!" Steve hisses quietly.

"I'm just trying to be emotionally prepared here, because we obviously aren't! None of us were prepared for this!"

"Jess-"

"God dammit, Bucky. Why couldn't he be more careful?"

Steve's face softens.

"I get you're scared, but they will all be okay."

Jessica takes in a deep breath and then controls his voice.

"This will be a natural birth, obviously," he looks over Jessica's shoulder briefly, "This will be very painful for her and hard on her body. She hasn't even been through the worst of it yet. God knows why she's going through labor so soon, and what it can do to her body. She's a young girl. As a woman, she is more than capable of doing this, but look around us. We don't have the medication to help her get through this. If something goes wrong."

Steve looks down at the floor.

"I know. We know. But we don't have a choice. This needs to happen. And it will happen."

"And what about equipment for the baby? We don't have any emergency medical things, we don't have clothes, we don't have proper anything—"

"Calm down!" Steve shouts. He grabs Jessica by the shoulder and forces her to look at him, "you need to calm down. We will figure this out. One thing at a time. Let's focus first on getting her through her contractions and dilations."

+ + +

"Is she dilated enough yet?"

"I don't know. I'm not a doctor, I don't know what ten centimeters feels like."

"She'll just have nature run it's course. If she feels the need to push she'll push."

You felt like vomiting and dying all at the same time. You feel a towel on your head. It's damp and cold.

Your heart didn't feel right either.

It isn't until you hear your name insistently calling you that you realize someone is talking to you.

"Do you feel like pushing, sweetheart?"

Your stomach drops as another pain travels through your uterus.

"Not yet...not...not yet. Bucky..."

Steve held a worried look on his face as he watched you from across the tent. He met Jessica's eyes. He looked furious as he moved up closer to the little cot that you laid on.

"Not him, we can't wait for him. This is about your body. Is your body ready? We need to know if you feel like pushing." He says strongly.

"No." You shake your head back and forth, "No pushing."

Darkness again and more pain. You just wanted to sleep.

Steve practically huffs as he leaves the tent, not expecting to run into Will.

"How is she?" Will asks, clearly trying to get in.

"She doesn't want to push." Steve says.

Will frowns.

"What?"

"She doesn't want to push until he's here."

"But that could take days, weeks even!" Will runs a hand through his hair.

"We know."

"Well. What do we do?"

"Eventually her body will do what it needs to do. It won't be up to her anymore."

"Y/N, please, honey." You looked up through hooded eyes to see Jessica looking down at you concerned. To your right was Sharon, holding your hand, "you can't keep holding it back. We know you want him here, but you can't do this. You need to stop fighting it. Please."

+ + +

Hours pass by. More hours, and everyone grew more concerned by the second. Things were not looking good.

Steve is sitting with Will right outside, and the sun has just begun to set.

He hears someone running up behind him, and he and Will turn around.

Sharon. Their eyes meet.

"She's ready." She says.