Safe

Bucky sits perked behind one of the many holographic billboards

Below him, he watches two black parked cars in an empty ally off one of the towers. Before you had gotten off your shift this afternoon, he had done his own research on the cityscape. He tracked one of the similar vehicles from outside the sex club and quickly got insight into where the delivery would possibly be made. He knew he had a fifty-fifty chance. Luckily the chances were in his favor and he had been right.

As he waits, his minds slowly drifts to the thought of you waiting for him at home.

He had given you a promise tonight. After you had asked him to give you a chance to get to know you, he didn't object to the idea. He didn't let go of your hand either.

He had his doubts the moment he met you, but last night only furthered his suspicions.

It did not go unnoticed by him that you liked him.

He wasn't sure how to react when you held his hand. His jaw had gone rigid as he tried to look from your eyes. Open up to me they had said.

He knew, without a doubt, that conforming to being on your good side was the only way he could keep you from being in his way. He told you the truth when he said he wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting yourself into, and that he didn't want you to die, but he didn't want this mission ruined either. He would have to keep sharing a part of him if he were to gain your proper cooperation.

He just didn't like that you were developing something for him because of it. That was never his intention.

Bucky wasn't stupid. He knew when a girl liked him. Maybe it's been over sixty years for him, but he was asleep for most of it anyway.

Your eyes were pleading, and he knew you were thinking you weren't be obvious. But you were so obvious.

His heart felt heavy in his chest as he tore his hand out of yours. You were his co-worker and that's all you would ever be to him.

You were a kid who was still learning.

Without a second thought, he had pulled his hand away and changed into a separate outfit to prepare for his part of the mission.

You didn't ask him where he was going anymore, and he was glad. It's what he had wanted.

A car door slamming shut pulls him away from his thoughts, and Bucky perks himself lower behind one of the steel beams. He was just far up enough to where he couldn't be seen, but he could hear the talking down below with the help of his super hearing.

One of the men that he recognizes from earlier that day, steps out of the driver's seat. Another man, who Bucky doesn't recognize, comes out of the second car, but from the back seat.

"What's the cost for this next one, M?" The second man asks. He had an American accent, Bucky notes. He had short, light brown hair, and light eyes. He was lean and looked to be around Bucky's physical age, mid to late thirties.