Trust

PART 2

PART 2

"DOMA"

IT didn't feel like things could get any better than it had, and you were right. It didn't.

You had been optimistic last time you stood inside the main Avengers tent. This time, you felt the exact opposite.

Steady rain pellets hit the roof of the dense and dark green tent. Inside, the solar powered lanterns seemed to glow brighter as it got progressively darker outside because of the on going storm. The lights were orange, bright, and soothing. The air around you started to feel more humid and tight, and you could smell the faint petrichor, a smell you used to once love.

You watched, frozen to the spot, as the people around you hushed about what would come next. You almost found that comical. Next? You were still trying to process the now.

Sam and Wanda stood off to the side talking to each other, worried looks on their faces. Wanda's gaze would occasionally drift onto you, her eyes filled with concerned and also a bit curious. You weren't too shocked. Just minutes before the word had already spread about your pregnancy and about you and Bucky.

Sam's, on the other hand, his focus was entirely on Bucky.

He looked hesitant. You wondered if the hesitancy was out of fear of getting too close to him.

Steve and Bruce stood next to Bucky, both of their attention solely on him and his hand that was wrapped in your scarf. The one you now remember him taking off of you back on the roof.

The two men were talking quietly, trying to discuss what would be the next few steps to take.

Bucky remained quiet, his skin had lost more color by the minute, and his blue eyes stayed on you.

When Steve and Bruce look at you and begin speaking, you don't listen.

Instead, you ignore them and you take a step closer to Bucky, your eyes staying on his unmoving. He takes one back, as if to protect you from him.