Chapter 148

“Right gang, we leave in twelve hours. I refuse to sit on my ass and watch football all day” Eleanor snaps, standing up from her place on the sofa.

We went to sleep at god-knows what time yesterday. We literally stayed up all night playing hide and seek, twister, and going on Kinect, then once half the house decided to call it a night, the rest of us stayed up and continued to play drunken two truths one lie, never have I ever, would you rather, and bloody beer pong.

To be fair, we didn’t drink too much so I’m not hungover or anything because we knew we’d be pissed off if we were all grumpy the next day. But I can’t seem to get my ass up off this damn sofa. I’ve gone to the extent of bringing my duvet downstairs because I’m that tired. Well, I guess I could get up and do something but I just can’t be bothered.

“Last time you said something like this, we ended up staying up till four in the morning playing fucking hide and seek” Jack frowns.

“Jack” his Mum scolds him for his colourful language. He raises his hands in defence before turning back to his girlfriend.

“Okay, maybe not hide and seek but can we do something productive. I’m fine with not leaving the house” she shrugs.  Everyone stays silent as she flickers her eyes from person to person to see no one’s taking any interest in her. “You’re all so boring” she groans, falling back onto the sofa we’re sharing.

“Why don’t we go in the pool or something? Play some music, have a barbeque... You know, family type stuff” Anna shrugs.

“See, this is why Anna’s my favourite” Eleanor nods at her. I chuckle slightly and sigh.

“I’m up for it”

Conor turns to me with a look of disappointment as if I’ve let the team down, making me smirk.

“Conor, I don’t know if you’ve realised but this is the last time you’re going to be seeing us for a while too” Anna points out, gesturing to her family.

“I know, I know” he sighs, shutting his eyes for a bit before looking around the room.

“I’ll pull something together for the barbeque. Adam and I are quite the team” Matt smiles proudly, nodding at my Dad. I mentally groan at how connected the two of them are. They’re literally like the older version of Conor and Alex.

“You could say we’re barbeque buddies. Am I right?” Matt bursts out laughing, high fiving my Dad. I immediately turn away from the two of them as they continue to laugh at Matt’s stupid ‘joke’.

“Conor, aren’t you coming down to see everyone else?” Jack frowns in confusion. That’s a point, he hasn’t seen them in ages.

“I don’t know yet, I might be able to take another week off near the end of August. I’m just busy at the moment” Conor shrugs and Jack just nods understandingly.

“Anyway... the barbeque?” Matt pesters further.

“Yeah, why not” Angela shrugs, and mine and Eleanor’s Mum’s agree.

Everyone looks around with huge smiles on their faces, waiting for Conor’s confirmation. He practically has to say yes now.

He looks around the group in slight amusement before his eyes stop at me. I raise an eyebrow and give him a slight nod before he groans and turns to Matt.

“Shall we see what we have for the barbeque then?” he smirks, making everyone cheer.

How does something so simple bring so much joy to the house?