Chapter 103

I never knew there was this many people at the resort. There’s literally about 1000 people crowded around the halfpipe. It’s pretty dark out here so dim lights light up the halfpipe, and different strobe lights flash around the area.

I’ve practised all day for this competition and me falling down the hill hasn’t had any effect on me whatsoever. We’re actually going with the name ‘Cunning Stunts’ because we had to think of one to put on the form we have to give in before the competition. We had literally 5 minutes to fill it in so Conor quickly scribbled it out for us.

We’re now stood at the top of the halfpipe just staring down at all the crowd talking amongst themselves. I see the judges setting up the scoring system and also see a man in a suit come out with a microphone. Speakers have been set up around the halfpipe and even little fireworks have been set up at the top of the halfpipe for the winning team.

I am shitting it.

It’s crazy to think that they set all this up every Saturday for every competition. Although this resort is only open in the winter.

“El, I’m terrified” I panic.

“Same” she stares at me in horror.

“Lucy!” Lily comes running over to us. She hasn’t seen us all day because she’s been helping set up the competition. We’ve had to practise on our own.

“Hey” I smile.

“I didn’t think you were doing the competition anymore! Are you alright?” she stares at me in shock.

“Yeah, I just passed out as I fell down the hill. I’m good now though” I shout over the blasting music. I see another team come and stand at the top of the halfpipe next to us and I relax a little bit when I see they look just as nervous as we do.

“That’s great! Are you sure this is a good idea?” she frowns.

“Positive” I giggle.

“Oh good. Look, I’m really sorry about Conor and I. I didn’t realise you felt that way” she apologises.

“Lily, it’s fine” I assure her. “I overreacted”

“I felt so bad when Jack told me. I would’ve spoken to you there and then but you were back in your cabin and I was still training Conor” she sighs. She looks so panicked.

“Honestly, it’s fine” I reassure her and she smiles.

“Good, don’t panic about this now though. You will be scared but once you get going, you’ll be loving life” she giggles and I smile brightly. “There’s something I haven’t told you though”

“What?” I frown. I’m really scared now.

“The reason why I wanted you to enter so much is because there’s a team that come here every year for the whole Christmas holiday and they drive me insane. They’re really good at snowboarding and win all the time. I wanted you to compete so you can beat them” she explains way too quickly and looks to the floor.

There is no way I can do this competition.

“Lily, what the hell!? You said there were no professionals!” I gasp. “You could’ve told me after the competition”

“I wanted to let you know now so you stay motivated. They’re not professionals either. They’re just stuck up, snobby, jerks”

“I can’t do this” I shake my head.

“Lucy, you’re amazing. Don’t worry about it” she assures me. “Here they come” she nods to the side of us. I see a group of 4 people dressed in the exact same outfits walk with confident towards us. They take their place beside us and talk amongst themselves.