Chapter 17 Courage

~ Kayla's POV ~

I reached in my pocket and pulled out a plastic bottle filled with whites tablets. When I turned to see Luke he was staring at the ground with tears falling fast. I dropped the bottle and gave him a big hug. It was then I realised that I might have feelings for Luke...

"I'm sorry" he whispered sobbing in between each word. "you have nothing to be sorry for Luke." my voice was muffled as my head was in Luke's chest. He cried harder though I didn't think that was possible. I noticed I had tears rolling down my face. All this time Luke needed help too and it wasn't just me. "you are always there for me, and I will always be here for you"

We had said goodbye to everyone but made our way back to the beach. I don't know why but every time we expressed our feelings it always ended with us at the beach, like it was our place. "one day I will be a big sister again and I will look after that baby like you looked after me." I looked up at the sky. Wondering if my brother really was up there watching down on me, knowing I am trying my hardest to get through this.

~ Luke's POV ~

"You ok?" I asked Kayla. She looked upset, staring up at the sky full of stars above. "I miss him" She replied. "I never even got to know who he was" the tears were falling down her face real fast. "You will get through this" I said. I knew she would.
"you don't know that!" She whined.
"Yes I do." I cleared my throat. "only I know how strong you are Kayla and I need to make you notice too. You are an amazing girl and deserve the best in life. I am going to apologise now for anything that may disappoint you in the future. I am sorry if I don't get to finish this journey with you but I know you will. Stay strong and most of all believe. Believe." I sighed and let the tears roll down my face. I had just worked up the courage to tell her I might be leaving. Only she didn't get the message. "I know you will always be here Luke, always here to look up at the bright stars knowing they will never disappear. Never. Somewhere up there is my brother looking down on us making sure we never fade away. After all we will never be as young as we are now." I stared at her. I liked that so I quickly write it down when she wasn't looking.
She sighed and looked at the stars when I thought of a story to tell her.
"You know something? When me and brothers were really little we used to come outside when it was dark like this, and stare up at the sky. We would choose a star for every family member that had died and we spoke to it as if it was a real person. It sounds stupid now but it was our way of keeping a connection with our loved ones." I felt a tear roll down my cheek. " and then, then I changed and ruined everything." I took a deep breath and let it all out. Kayla crawled over and rested her head on my chest. "you see the biggest and brightest star up there?" She pointed up towards the star. "yeah?"
"Well that is my brother and I will love home till that star stops shinning" She blinked letting tears slip out. I smiled. She was using my childhood memories to make her life better.

She fell asleep lying on my chest and when I felt my eyes get heavy I picked her up and carried her to my house. I put her into bed and slipped in next to her holding her close because I didn't know if I would ever get the chance again. I was stupid thinking I could let her go. I knew when she was gone I wouldn't get her back. The truth was I was too scared too let her go because I loved her.

Short chapter I know and I am sorry but I am busy the next few days and I don't want to let you guys down and stop updating everyday so I have a load of stuff to write today. I also left it on a cliffhanger with Luke's confession...kind of...not really...! Haha I am bad at this sorry!
Please go follow me on Instagram at hemmings_art for a load of 5sos art 💕💕💕 thanks for all the reads x