Inuzuka Prince

"So," I began, "Who can tell me what the top priority is when treating someone with a stab wound?" I gazed out over my class, expectantly waiting for an answer. It felt so odd to suddenly be in the very position that I would often criticize in my old life, but at least now I was asking questions that actively would affect how these students tackled a problem.

"Assess organ damage?" a student called out, a boy that I was frankly happy to be teaching with how logical he was.

"Exactly," I smiled at the response, "Since we have already covered superficial stab wounds, I thought it would be good to now move on to the most likely wounds healers will encounter, life threatening ones." I leaned against my desk, "Most shinobi will know enough field aid to be able to wrap up a stab to an arm or leg and take care of more superficial wounds."

"We are in charge of those who shouldn't fight." a student finished, and I gestured to them.

"Yes, we deal with those who are in danger, and, while it is important to heal any injury, the ones we prioritize are those that prevent a shinobi from continuing to fight." I elaborated, "And the first order of business is repairing compromised organs."

Lectures like these would sometimes bring up negative memories, and although I didn't want to dwell too much on the past, these students did like stories of my experiences, and I certainly wasn't one to deny them, "Any compromised organ is a bad one. Can anyone give me an example?"

"Liver can cause massive, quick blood loss." one girl answered quickly.

"Breaks in the digestive tract lead to an infection that can kill in a couple of days," Another boy offered.

"Bleeding and infection are usually our main concerns," I agreed, "and you want to prioritize those that cause bleeding over infection. Why?"

"Bleeding kills quickly!" a student blurted.

I nodded happily, "Precisely, and-"

The words died in my mouth as the window to the classroom opened, the very boy who was the source of most of the experience I was talking about almost falling in and seeming to barely be able to keep himself on his feet in some sort of panic that instantaneously griped me more than any feeling of annoyance.

"He's back!" the logical boy noted.

I would have loved to say that Kiba crashing into my lessons was a totally unheard of occurrence, but, although rare, he had 'dropped into' a lesson on two or three occasions either in some cocky move to annoy me or in genuine distress.

This case was clearly the latter as he gazed at me wide eyed and shaking, "I-I'm really sorry to interrupt, but I need to talk to you."

"I'm... in the middle of a lesson," I dumbly said although that was evident. He was honestly scaring me, and I had no idea how to react.

"I-I know," he ran his hands through his hair; okay, yeah, this was actually serious, "I- this can't wait."

"Talk to him!" a girl encouraged, soon joined by a cacophony of my students encouraging me to end class early.

I sighed, "Alright, I want you to work on repairing fish organs, okay?"

I was met with a chorus of support, and I took Kiba by the arm and walked outside of the classroom to more sounds of both intrigue and attempts to keep some semblance of order.

"What's up?" I prompted, trying to keep my nerves steady.

"My mom's making me fight Hana," he blurted, "I-I don't know why she's doing this now but she's initiated the ceremony for picking the next clan head, and I didn't think I'd have to worry about this already, and I'm going to have to fight her today and I don't know what to do because I obviously can't just say that I'm not going to fight for the position because that would be dishonorable but I'm not even sure what I want to do with my life yet and now it's being decided for me and I'm not prepared to fight her and-"