Seven Months Lost

"You have been in a coma for seven months, Miss Armstrong."

I blinked, vision still foggy, a sea of white stretched all around me, the man in front of me blending into it, white coat losing him in the lifeless surroundings.

"The good news is that you have retained an incredible amount of ability, and, with some therapy, you might be able to return to life as you know it within a few months..."

His voice faded out again, and I looked down at my hands, turning my palm up. These hands weren't as delicate, the skin slightly darker, tone warmer. The fingers were shorter in comparison to the palms. I rotated my hands again, my nails were shockingly in check, maybe they had someone maintain them for me, that was nice I guess. I wouldn't have wanted to have scraggly witch nails.

These were Katie's hands. I blinked again, blinked Katie's eyes, I shifted Katie's shoulders. I still couldn't believe it, that I had woken up as Katie. My parents had hugged me... they hugged me way too hard to be honest, threw themselves onto me more with lots of shouting. I didn't know what was happening, but these were Katie's hands.

But why?
Did I die? What had happened? I was just trying to carry on as normal, I was just trying to have some cereal, I was trying to eat, that was good, I was doing the right thing... but then I woke up? But why? I just... fell, and then I kept falling, and then suddenly I was sitting up. I sat up and blond showered into my eyes, no pink in sight, no Hinata in sight, no one was in sight in fact, and then a nurse walked in and gasped.

"Oh, Doctor, thank you so much for your work!" Mom had her hands clasped together, standing in front of the doctor and interrupting his words, "Our baby girl is alive because of you! And now she's awake!"

Dad took his hand, the doctor flinching as he took it very suddenly, "Yes, yes, thank you, thank you, you don't understand how much it means to us that Katie's okay now!"

Mom nodded adamantly, tears rolling down her face, "We owe this hospital so much! Our baby girl's alive!"

Why were they talking so loud? Did they want the entire hospital to hear them?

I looked down again, hands feeling cold and empty. I held my hands together to fill the void, wishing that there was something else I could hold, someone else's hand. Kiba's hands were nice to hold... but Kiba wasn't real.

That thought made me flinch; was that all... a dream? Was it all actually a dream? I spent almost seven years in a dream? But, it was actually only seven months, but it felt like so much more, it was so much more, all of it was so much, so important.

And none of it was real.

It was stupid to think it was real anyways. I mean, c'mon, waking up in the Narutoverse? Waking up in a fucking anime world, and I thought it was all real? It wasn't, it couldn't have been real, because I was here, now, in the real world.

But... Beth wasn't there with me? Hinata wasn't real? She was nowhere in sight, not hovering over me and working her magic to make me feel better, she wasn't here. She wasn't real. There was just me, this doctor, and my family.

My family, I was finally back with them, I had a Mom and Dad again, I had Aaron again. They were real, and now I had them.

The doctor freed his hand from Dad's, "I appreciate your words, but Katie still has a long way to go before she is out of the woods."

"You mean she can't come home?" Mom gasped, and I finally noticed Aaron, him cringing where he sat on the other side of the room.

"I... suppose she may be able to-" the doctor began.