A Kakashi Side Story

Was I... really doing this right now?

It was hard not to ask oneself that question when hanging from someone's windowsill, but I was desperate. That trip the Hamasaki village was an enlightening one in many ways, resulted in many good things for both of our villages, though it also left me with one very pressing question:

Was I going to marry Sakura?

The answer seemed obvious, but there were so many other questions that surrounded it. What did we want from our relationship? I was pretty sure going into this we both intended to stay together for a long time. This wasn't a fling like with Anko or any of the other women I had ever been with, and it wasn't a teen's first experiment with a relationship for her. This was something adult, something with consequences that were meant to last.

So why hadn't this idea of marriage been in my mind sooner? Perhaps I was like Hinata and even Kiba in that way, I was happy enough to be in the moment in a relationship, not necessarily aware of the 'appearances' and the 'next steps'. This was something important to Sakura, though, I was sure of that... so I needed to do this; I needed to ask her that question.

But how was I supposed to do it!? She had so many ideas of how these things were 'supposed' to go, and, sure, I'd read many things... in porn books... who was I kidding I was absolutely clueless!

I finally pulled myself upward to peer in the window, the image of Hinata sitting on her bed coming into view. This was clearly an off day for her, her hair messily tied up, casual clothes, and a pad of paper and set of paints in front of her. Her son rolled around next to her, shockingly avoidant of his mother's supplies. Why did I choose this approach? It hit me that this was an entirely strange way to go about this, and I knew most of it was because I wanted to avoid her husband, but... maybe I should just try the door.

It seemed my reconsiderations came to late, as Hinata's eye drifted to the side, and she did a double take before we made horrifically awkward eye contact. She removed the end of her paintbrush from her mouth, eyes narrowing before she carefully got off of her bed and made her way over to the window, lifting it open, "Did something happen?"

"No, um..." I chuckled nervously, "But, there's something I want to happen, and I want to make sure I do it right."

She huffed, frowning, and stepped back to let me in, "Don't you think it's a little late for sex advice?"

Spluttering for a moment, I covered my face with a shameful hand as Alonso began to giggle, "No... that's not the kind of advice I'm looking for."

"What then? Out with it." She prompted authoritatively. I might've made a plea to watch her tone when speaking to her Hokage, but not only would she not care I also was the one who she just found creeping at her window.

"I want to propose to Sakura." I forced out.

Her eyes widened, silent for a tense moment, "Huh," She seemed to recover, meeting my eyes again, "Well, I wasn't expecting that, um... you should do it?"

I blinked, "Excuse me?"

She shrugged confusedly, an aspect of indignation sparking in her eyes, "What do you want advice for? If you're asking me if you should do it, you should; it'll make her really happy to be married to you. Just make sure to make it romantic and special, y'know?"

"Uh..." There was so little pushback, so little questioning, "Okay."

She eyed me in bemusement, "That's what you were wondering, right?"

"I..." I shook my head, attempting to clear it of its confusion, "I suppose so... romantic and special, huh?"

She nodded, "Yeah, uh, I mean Kiba took me out to dinner and we went on a nature walk to this cliffside to see the sunset. She might want something a step above that, but something along those lines would probably be okay..." Her brow furrowed, "You've gotten blessings, right?"
My head tilted, "What do you...?" Oh no...