Baking Apocalypse

I snuggled my face further into the comforter, taking in the clean, new smell. The entire house smelled new, it was new, and it was wonderful. Every breath felt like inhaling a bright future and expelling all of my past.

Although I felt tied to that apartment, it was also an unfortunate shelter from the horrors of my life, but this place wouldn't be the same. No, this house would be a place where I lived happily, with my husband, and my baby, and my friends and family happy and safe, with a job that I loved and had always dreamed of having.

It was more than I could have ever wanted for my life. As Isabel, I actually wasn't sure what I was doing with myself, just trying so desperately to chase this 'perfect' life so that I wouldn't have to live like my parents did, pushing farther and farther to achieve yet never really feeling like I was getting anywhere.

I had never asked myself what I really wanted, but I did know that I'd never felt this at ease before. Was there a place to ever call home there? Everywhere I went was a mound of expectations and stress. 'Home' was where I raised my siblings, faced with the sad reality of middle class, suburban life. School was overwhelming yet unyieldingly boring and simple, leading to a path in life that may have not even given me the happiness I wanted.

That was disturbing to consider, that in all of my effort to chase medical school that I might not have liked what I found. And for what? To have gone through my youth never taking the time to enjoy myself? With only one true friend, no significant other to speak of, hating myself, and possibly giving up a family that I secretly desired so badly?

I ran a hand over my stomach, sensing the small hand held to a tiny mouth, legs curled up in a still posture that no doubt would be replaced with kicking in a few hours. How had I managed to achieve everything I wanted?

Of course, it wasn't easy. I died, almost died multiple times again, and caused so much death and wreaked so much havoc that my parents would have regarded me with disgust, but that didn't matter now. This was a new house, where I would live the life I wanted for the first time.

It was so bright in here compared to that apartment too, warm, inviting, even though we hadn't fully moved in yet, it was all too easy to consider myself at home. Maybe because he was here with me, the apartment certainly felt more like a home with him. To think that all those years ago, being put on a team with someone I only vaguely knew as a character I didn't completely hate... and now I was married to him, having a child with him. That goofy, hot headed, determined boy was now... still those things but oh so much more too. He was kind, generous, selfless, and gave me a reason to open up and bear my soul in a way only one other person had ever seen. He always looked at me with understanding. His arms were my home, and wherever he went I would belong.

So where the hell was he.

I opened my eyes to confirm what my other senses were already telling me, and I set my hand down in the empty space with a sigh. No need in being dramatic, he'd be here soon enough. I didn't expect my wishes to be almost instantaneously granted as the already slightly ajar door was pushed fully open, Kiba walking in with a tray and wide grin.

"Don't get up!" he requested, hurrying over as quickly as he could given that he didn't want to disturb the quite carefully set up tray, setting it down on the bed and revealing he had... made me breakfast! In bed this time!
I smiled, "Aw... Kiba!" It wasn't abnormal for him to make breakfast, but this was way too cute.

He kneeled back on the bed happily, "Surprised?"

"Yes!" I threw my arms around his neck to kiss his cheek, careful not to disturb the food, "Te amo."

"Te amo más." he smirked, giving me a light kiss as he tried to resituate himself on the bed. God, I loved it when he spoke Spanish, even if he did know next to nothing about it.