Darkness (Cole)

I press closer into his strong chest as a strong arm wrap around me tightly. The thundering sound of earth crashing in around us is all-consuming. I know I am screaming, but the loud rumble is overpowering it. I close my eyes in fear as my entire world is crashing down around me. I know it will soon hit me, probably killing me in the process and I wonder if I made peace with the world.

To be honest, I can't say I have. My life flashes before my eyes. Especially the last few months.

I had a calm and peaceful life, kind of. You know, going to school, finding a job, trying to stay out of the pathway of monsters attacking the city. My mom and dad had passed away when I was just a baby, but my grandma had taken me in and became more than a mother for me. She became my mentor, my trainer. When I was younger people would come to her asking her for help. When I grew up I got to see what she was able to do.

I remember it like it was yesterday. They had brought in a man heavily injured by the great devourer, and she had just placed her hands on him and he walked out perfectly healthy. I was more than shocked.

It was then she started to teach me, train me. And I found I was good at what I did. Healing others alongside my grandma. But then grandma got sick. I had tried everything in my power to heal her, but she was just... too old. She told me I needed to learn I could not heal everyone. That death was something that belonged to the living.

But I was not willing to accept that.

I was alone at the funeral. That was until we reached the cemetery. An old man with a long beard was standing there. He looked sad. I wondered if he knew my grandma. So after the service, I asked him. His name was Master Wu. He had known my grandma ever since she discovered her powers. He said he trained the elemental masters. And he wanted to train me too.

I said no, but can you blame me? I had just lost my grandma. But after a week, he came again. Just like the month after that and the month after that.

I had expected him to come the month after that as well. I even made tea for him. But he did not. When I saw the attack of the next evil creature I knew he had been busy.

I finally gave in after another month. I...

"Hmph.... Yana... I can't hold on much longer..." The strained voice of my friend shakes me back to reality. "Wait. Let me help you." I reply. I gently place my hands on his chest. I can feel his muscles move, as he tries to stop the rocks from crashing into us. I unleash my power in a gentle flow. The strange orange light emitting from him as he uses his power lights up once more. I almost sink to my knees as suddenly I feel the heaviness of the rocks above us.

"We can't keep this up. Can't you create a place for us to take shelter or something?" I ask him, knowing very well we are not going to last like this.

"I... perhaps. I need your help" he lets out another strained moan as he lets go of me with his other hand. I had not realized he was still holding me. I feel the steady flow of power increase into a waterfall, now truly sending me to my knees. Now not only the rocks above us are moving, but the ones next to us are also moving. I can feel a gust of wind pas us.

"Alright, there is a safe cave there. I need you to move there." He now has both of his hands stretched out above him. His orange glow is slowly winding down again. "But you need my power." I don't want to argue, but he is not sacrificing himself. "I will be right behind you. I can't hold on much longer. You move on three. One... Two....Tree" I jump to the small cave next to us. I cover my head and ears, pushing my eyes shut as the enormous pile of rocks drop down on the place I stood only moments ago.