Over the edge. (Cole)

Does anyone know who draws these cole ghost pictures? They are stunning and I can't find the artist. Leave a comment if you know! Anyway on with some angst! Just a little bit though...

"You are a pain in the ass Cole!" I yell at him. The black ninja looks at me with an expression of stone. "And you need to train harder." He says coldly, glaring at me from underneath his bushy eyebrows. I push myself up, sending a powerful wind in his direction, fueling it with my anger. He takes a slight step back from the force pushing him backward.

"Better. But you put down your guard." Moments later I am bashed in the stomach by a piece of rock and once more I am flat on the ground. "Damn it, Cole!" I moan in anger and pain as I curl up to try and lessen the pain. We had been training ever since we took off with the bounty. The others had stopped one by one already. But Cole keeps pushing me to keep on fighting. I am covered in bruises and my side is far beyond burning. This has gone long enough, I think. It hurts to breathe. Tears well up in my eyes. Not just from pain. Since I have been with the ninja's Cole has been my rock. Literally. But somehow he has turned into this ice-cold masochist. Enjoying hurting me. I know I am not nearly as skilled as he or any of the ninja is. I know I need to train. But enough is enough. I keep my eyes closed to hide my tears. I don't want him to see me cry.

"Get up." His demanding voice comes from somewhere close.

"No, I am done." I say as I try to keep my voice steady. But I can hear the vibration of tears. "I said get up!" He yells. The ground underneath me moves and pushes me upright. He raises his hand into another stand. "Again."

"Fuck you asshole." I spit out at him. I flip him off before I turn around and start walking. I know my anger will burn out and if he attacks me again I will end up on the ground once more.

"Cole? Perhaps she needs a break." To my relief I hear Jay walking closer. He steps between me and Cole as I slowly make my way towards my towel and water bottle.

"No Jay. The overlord will not give her a break. She needs to defend herself." Cole snaps at his friend. His words drive daggers into my heart. I know I need to defend myself. I am trying.

But I can not magically learn what the others took years in mere weeks. No matter how hard Cole pushes me. No matter how hard I train. I want to be the best. But this training regime is wearing me down more than it is lifting me up.

"We know that. But you are not the overlord. She needs our help, Cole. Not being beaten to a pulp before she ever faces the bad guy." Jay is waving his hands frantically at his friend. It is just like Jay to say the exact things I am feeling. Hearing someone voicing them brings me over the edge. Silent tears run over my cheeks.

"I..." The earth ninja suddenly doesn't sound so secure. "I just want to protect her, Jay." I hear him whisper. "Be there for her, you know."

I push the tears from my cheeks. I hate to cry. But I feel raw from the beating I just got.

"Then be there for her, you jerk. You are hurting her, and not only physically."

Cole curses softly. I look over my shoulder seeing him rubbing his face. He looks like I feel. Worn down and broken. "What do I do now?" I can hear the despair in his voice.

"I don't know, offer her a drink? Just apologize to her, you boulder brain." Jay shrugs his shoulders before he crosses his arms.

It does not take long before I feel a familiar arm against mine. "I am sorry," Cole says before he sits down next to me. "I was wrong to push you like that. I ... I am just scared."

"Well join the club, Cole. I am scared like shit." I am still unable to let go of all the anger I feel against him.

Suddenly I feel two strong arms around me. "I know. I am sorry." His voice rumbles in his chest. Curse him. I don't want to cry, but the feeling of being safe in his arms is so overwhelming I finally manage to relax just a bit. "Just.." I start to sob quietly. "Will you protect me?" It has left my lips before I can hold it back. It is my fear talking and we both know it. He pulls me even closer in his arms. Locked between his arms and strong chest I try to shake the feeling of the upcoming battle. When I have to face the overlord.

I feel his lips in my hair.

"I will die for you darling." I can hear him whisper.

Despite everything, I look up. My tear-filled eyes look at his dark eyes. His cheeks are wet too. Our gaze meets and he weakly tries to smile through his tears. I see the same fear in his eyes as I feel in my heart. But I also see love. More than I ever saw with anyone. I move up and kiss him on his cheeks.

"Well, I can't let that happen." I try to smile, searching for a tiny bit of courage inside me. "Let's do another round." I inhale. Cole looks surprised. "Are you sure?"

"Well, ninja never quit. And I have to save your ass." I say, trying to laugh. Cole burst out in laughter making the other ninja look up. But instead of getting ready, he grabs me once more. His lips are on mine within a second. They are rough and the kiss is wanting and desperate. I open my lips and let him in. Sharing our short moment of bliss.

That is until the others are starting to make barfing noises.