Compatible (zane)

Alright, It is too short for my liking. But I will post it anyway. A bit of longing Zane pain. Love is a bitch. 

He was lying next to me. Closer to me than anyone, and yet so far away he could be on one of the stars we were looking at it.

I moved my fingers, the metal of my mechanical arm tapped on the roof. If you listened carefully you could hear the gears move. Pushing myself in an upright position I wrapped my arms around my legs. With a sigh I lay my head down on my knees, looking at Zane next to me. He looked at peace. His metal skin lit up in the moonlight. I knew mine did too. I was not a full robot. I was a cyborg. I lost my arm and part of my hip in an explosion a few years ago. Dr. Julian and Dr. Raven, my father, put me back together. Zane had been their inspiration and though my hand and leg looked a lot like his, we were very different. And yet, he understood the things I went through, adjusting to my new life as a cyborg. We would talk about adjusting, fitting in. And about standing out and being unique.

Over time I found out I had fallen head over heels in love with him. He was my world and I would lay down my life for him. But he was with Pixal. I had accepted that as a fact a long time ago. But it hurt. It hurt not being able to be with the man I loved. It hurt seeing him with her. How happy they looked. How much they understood each other. And I was... well me. And we were never ever going to happen.

Ever.

I pushed down the pain in my stomach as I looked at him. I ripped my eyes from him, not wanting the tears that stung my eye roll down my cheek.

"Ava..." His soft voice held a warning in it. Sometimes it felt like he knew. He knew about my feelings and chose to ignore them. Other times he sounded clueless.

"What Zane?" I came out more harch than I intended. It was getting harder and harder to hide the pain I felt when I looked at him. Perhaps it was time to leave, to detach from him and put it behind me. Finally.

I closed my eyes and cursed in my head as I felt his fingers on my human hand. He covered it and very gently gave it a squeeze.

"Are you alright?" He asked softly.

No.

He could not know. It would break his heart. Yet mine broke again as he grabbed my hand and interlaced our fingers. "I am fine, Zane," I stated, trying to put some warmth into it, but keeping the shake of tears out. As always I succeeded. I had a lot of practice in the last couple of years. "Just in awe of the stars." My mouth formed the words, as my mind tried to keep the pain in. I could never move closer to him. I could never place my lips on his. He was with Pixal. They were Compatible. Oh, how I hated that word. apparently it was enough for Zane and Pixal to be together. That they were... compatible. But what about love? Love was not about numbers and percentages. Who you were supposed to be with. It did not make sense. It was wild and unruly and the most powerful and disruptive force in the universe. It was...

"They are doing their best tonight," Zane stated softly as his thumb traced circles on the back of my hand. I could not get myself to pull my hand away. Oh, how I wanted him to pull me close. To wrap his arms around me and kiss my cheek. But it would never happen. Love was powerful, but it also hurt.  

"Zane I..." I started, but I stopped myself before I would do something stupid.

"How are you and Pixal doing?" I asked. I needed to stop feeling like this. I would do something stupid, say too much, feel too much. It stayed quiet for a while and I looked over my shoulder to my friend. His brow was furrowed and his eyes were locked onto something far away. "Zane?" He looked up, shaken from a thought. "Yes?" He looked at me. His blue eyes shimmering in the darkness of the night. He looked sad. I grabbed hold of his hand even tighter. "Are you alright?" I asked softly, now pulling his hand towards me. Something was bothering him. I pushed down my own feelings as I had done many times and locked them in their cage. He needed his friend, and I would be here. 

"I..." He inhaled, but then stopped and let the breath go. "I am fine Ava. Just amazed by the stars."

I smiled, slightly pushing him with my shoulder. The soft sound of metal on metal rang in the night air.

"Zane..." I said softly, not sure what I was going to say to him. "Yes, Ava." He whispered. His face was so close I could hear the soft winding of his gears. If I moved just a bit our lips would touch. My heart was racing in my chest. This had to stop. This had to stop now. 

"I am going to bed," I stated, almost pulling myself away from him as I got to my feet. 

He looked up. Sadness was in his eyes as he shook his head. "I wish to stay here for a bit longer. Goodnight Ava." He stated, looking away. His blue shimmering eyes turned towards the stars once more.

"Goodnight Zane," I said, before kissing his hair. I made my way off the roof, leaving the nindroid behind.

The master of Ice lingered on the roof. It felt cold now she was gone. His hand softly stroke the place she had been sitting. For years he had feelings for her. At first, he did not know what it was, but as he learned, he found out he loved her. But it was clear she did not love him back. Not in the way he loved her.

He had never told her and he was never going to tell her. It would destroy their friendship.

His mind wandered to Pixal. Soon now she and Nya would tell the others. Jay and Cole would probably follow shortly after. And that left him... Alone.

Being compatible does not mean you end up with them. He had learned that the hard way.

He sighed as he looked at the stars. They were beautiful. 

Cold. 

But beautiful. 

Zane is hinting at this

Zane is hinting at this. Love this ship <3