| Chapter 32 |

The drive was longer than Rebecca thought it would be but nicer and more fun than expected.

Conversation came easy and they all meshed well together, the wind blew through the open windows and Rebecca laid back on Joseph's legs, staring at the ceiling of the truck while he played with her hair.

Colby listened to the two talk with a smile on his face. She spoke about what he had missed and how the bench at one of the parks still has their carvings on it. While Joseph spoke about what he did when he moved and how good it felt to be back. They filled each other in on as many things as they could think of, talking about new and old memories. Talking about their adventures as children and how they used to build forts in Joseph's backyard.

Jonathan made little comments and asked about specific things that they were talking about, and the two gladly filled him in. While Colby focused more on retaining everything that was being said and keeping mental notes. 

But the conversation filled with happiness was evidently underlined with sorrow. When Rebecca was scrolling through old childhood pictures of Joseph and herself, and showing them to everyone, she came across one with them and both sets of their parents, smiling and hugging.

For a while after that, the boys barely heard Rebecca make a noise, and Jonathan turned around in his seat only to see Joseph's sad and worried eyes peering down at Rebecca who just blankly stared at the picture.

She quickly reset her mindset and went back to playing up her fake facade, knowing that the last thing she wanted was pity. She scrolled past the picture, while slowly sitting up and shot Joseph a smile before looking out of the window.

Shortly after, they pulled into the driveway, and all got out of the truck. While Colby and Joseph walked ahead, Jonathan waited by the hood of the truck as Rebecca exited slowly.

"You okay?" He questioned when she made it next to him.

She shot him a smile and looked at him, "Yeah, I'm good."

He shook his head in disbelief, "How do you do it?"

She looked at him confused, waiting for him to continue. "How do you pretend that you're okay?"

"What do you mean?" She laughed, "I am."

"No, no you're not." He shook his head.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She made sure to not choke on her words as she looked away, blinking back tears.

He looked over at her, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong. I am fine." She responded quietly.

He stood up and gently moved her head towards him, "Who are you trying to convince?"

She just stared at him, with a sad smile, "Both of us."

He shook his head, "I know you don't want to, but talk to me."

It wasn't like they had anywhere better to be and Jonathan seemed to really care, so Rebecca talked to him. It wasn't some grand story, and she didn't fully go in-depth, but he was more informed than he was before.

"What about Colby? I know he has to play a part in this." Jonathan asked as they began walking to the backyard.

"I don't know," She shrugged, "I'm just- I don't want him getting the wrong idea. I really just- I don't know."

Jonathan nodded and noticed Joseph walking towards them, "What took you guys so long?"

"Just a little chat," Jonathan responded and the three went to go sit down on the benches surrounding a patio table.

Jonathan and Rebecca made their way to a bench and shared it, while Joseph moved to sit beside Colby who was already sitting on a bench directly across from the other two.

"Becks! You came!" Ashley stumbled to the benches and the two other girls followed closely behind. All three already looked wasted, and it was no surprise that Ashley was the drunkest, even though Pamela and Mercedes weren't far off.

"Here," Pamela shoved a beer bottle in Rebecca's hand clumsily with a smile, "Enjoy!"

Rebecca laughed and they all talked for a while. She noticed that there were a lot more people at this party than at the last, and Rebecca saw a lot of faces she wished she hadn't.

Hours passed and Rebecca made it evident that she wouldn't be drinking a lot. She didn't want to repeat what she had done at the previous party, in any way, shape, or form, so she had been sipping on the same beer for the entirety of her stay.

It was when Alexis walked over with her clique and began flirting with Colby that Rebecca realized she'd need another beer to survive the night. Leading her to take another beer from the cooler in front of them with a roll of her eyes.

"Guys!" Alexis yelled and Rebecca swore, wincing and shaking her head at the annoying noise, "Time for another party game!"

"And this is my cue to leave." Rebecca went to stand up, but Jonathan quickly grabbed her hand.

"You're fine and sober." He chuckled and Rebecca huffed before sitting back down.

"Spin the bottle." Alexis sang as others started sitting down.

Alexis's minions giggled and one spoke up, "Except it's with a twist."

"Wherever the top of the bottle lands is who you have to kiss. If you land on yourself, it's your pick." Another one of her friends finished.

"I hate parties." Rebecca mumbled causing Jonathan to laugh before she continued, "I'm never setting foot in one again."