Chapter 40

A/N

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THREE THOUSAND READS!!!

I'm so grateful (and a tiny bit surprised) that y'all have stuck around this long!!!

We now have 40 published chapters! That's a lot! We are so close to the end though (there will be 50). That's why I've been updating three chapters every week: because there are so many XD

Anyways, enjoy the longer chapter!

Sophie

"WHAT?!?!"

"How?"

"When?"

"Where did they go?"

"Who helped them escape?"

These were the questions that circled around the room all at once, a cacophony of shock and confusion. Sophie knew she shouldn't be surprised. This had happened before, and with their luck it would probably happen again.

"Stop!" Blur shouted, silencing everyone. "Just listen to Oralie. What do you know?"

Oralie looked grateful. "Thank you, Blur. I heard it from Noland. He was checking the recording of their temporary cell in Eternalia and found that they were gone. No trace, no indication as to how they escaped! Noland said he would have a couple Emissaries look into how they managed to get free. We have no idea where they are either."

"Great!" Sophie grumbled. "Just as we finally capture all of them, they escape! Again!"

"There has to be a reason for all of this," Dex murmured thoughtfully, "It can't be a coincidence that they keep mysteriously escaping."

Everyone looked like they agreed.

"The only way to unlock one of those cells in Eternalia is with a specific key," Oralie explained. "And only Councillors are permitted one of those keys. Oh, that reminds me. Ruy, you should take mine." She pulled out a shining silver key.

When she handed it to Ruy, Sophie noticed her downcast features. It must've been hard to give up her position after so many years of being Councillor.

"Thank you," Ruy smiled sympathetically. "I know you didn't deserve to be kicked off the Council. The Lost Cities has lost their best Councillor. I hope I can fill your shoes as a fair and kind leader, but I doubt I'll be as good as you."

Oralie sniffed, wiping her eyes. "Thank you, Ruy. You are too kind. I'm sure you will be an amazing and inspiring leader. Especially considering you being the youngest Councillor ever, and your past experience with the Neverseen. You will be able to show the elvin people that change is possible, and nearer than we may think."

Ruy thanked her. "I just hope they'll trust me. Who knows what kind of conspiracies might come when the rest of the Lost Cities receive the announcement that a former member of the Neverseen is now a Councillor? Imagine if they thought a Councillor was still with the Neverseen!"

Dex suddenly gasped. "THAT'S IT!" He exclaimed, jumping from his seat on the couch.

Everyone looked at him.

Dex shrunk back, his cheeks red. "I-I mean... I think that's it..."

"What?" Biana asked.

"What if a Councillor was a part of the Neverseen? What if a Councillor set the Neverseen free?"

"That's impossible," Oralie said uncertainly. Her brow furrowed. "It...shouldn't be possible."

"Uh, hello!" Stina interjected. "Alina was a part of the Neverseen! She was with them in the cell! She could've set herself free, right?"