TEN

CHAPTER TEN
gualish & community service

CHAPTER TENgualish & community service

"We realized the
importance
of our voices 
only when we
are silenced"
- malala yousafzai

KATELYN KNOCKED ON ALARIC'S OFFICE DOOR before walking inside. He looked up at her then back down at the book he was reading. "What do you want?" He asked her. 

"I want to help." She replied. "My brother took the knife, we got it back, he and my other brother ran, so I want to help you protect the school because I put it in danger." 

Alaric sighed, rubbing his forehead. "Well, the only thing that would be helpful is if you knew how to speak Gaulish... it's always gotta be Gaulish." He muttered the last part. 

Katelyn walked over. "Funny thing. I do know how to read Gaulish. Well, a little bit at least." She chuckled. They both looked towards the window when they heard rustling outside. They look at each other but don't dwell on it much. 

Alaric pulls up a chair and pats it. She grinned and sat down next to him. He puts the book between them and the two go on to decipher what it says together. 

.

.

.

.

Alaric dragged Katelyn into the library where they were meeting Josie, Lizzie, and Hope. "Ugh, I'd rather read Gaulish than do community service, Ric." Katelyn complained, trying to dig her heels into the floor. 

He continued to pull her with much difficulty. Finally, he just threw her over his shoulder and she grunted in annoyance. "We've been reading all night." He said as he opened the doors. Hope, Lizzie, and Josie look over at them. "You need fresh air." 

"You made me go on a run this morning!" She argued, making a wild gesture with her hands. He set her down next to Hope and pushed her. She stumbled right into the railing of the stairs, tripping. She grabbed onto it, stopping her from falling. "Lovely." She muttered, rolling her eyes. 

He ignored her, straightening out his shirt. "Looks like you four are going to do community service."

"This makes no sense, Dad." Lizzie said. "Why are we being punished?" 

"Because you started a brawl at a charity football game that risked exposing what we really do here." Alaric said as Katelyn leaned against the railing that Lizzie was leaning against above her. 

"Well, you weren't mad last night." Lizzie said then mumbled with a roll of her eyes, "At least at us." 

"I was mad last night. My undying love for my daughters just happened to trump my rage. I volunteered everyone in the game, so stop complaining. You're lucky that it's just community service and not actual jail time." Alaric said, looking between the four who simultaneously roll their eyes.