ONE

CHAPTER ONE
you're a stranger yet so familiar

"A wise girl
knows her
limits,
a smart girl
knows she has
none"
-marilyn monroe

KATELYN WALKED DOWN THE STREET with Landon and Rafael as they made their way to the All Saint's Church which was a Catholic church in their neighborhood. Katelyn and Landon both looked exasperated and incredulous because of their foster brother's plans for the evening. 

"Rafael! Seriously, it's not right." Landon told his brother with an outraged expression plastered on his face. Katelyn nodded her head in agreement. She stuffed her hands into her black jean pockets. It was a bit chilly out so she had her red and gray flannel sweatshirt on and a black long-sleeved shirt with a panda in the right corner. 

"It is what it is, Landon." Rafael sighed heavily, already regretting telling his two best friends about his predicament. They were all very protective of each other so he wasn't sure what he was expecting other than this. 

"You're not Catholic! You shouldn't have to confess your sins." Katelyn pointed out, furious with her foster parents. So what if he had some anger issues and was really strong, allowing himself to throw a lawnmower through the patio doors? That didn't give them the right to force him to do this!

"I tossed a lawnmower through the patio doors, bruh! If apologizing to God gets Hector and Maria off my back, so be it." Rafael said, annoyance clear in his tone. The two frowned but didn't say anything more. They walked up the stairs of the church and Landon pulled one of the doors open, allowing his foster siblings to walk in first. 

When they got inside, their foster parents, Hector and Maria, were standing at the sacristy with the priest. Rafael, looking nervous, greeted his foster parents. "Buenas tardes, Father Pietro." Rafael greeted the priest in Spanish. 

"Buenas tardes, Rafael. Por favor, pray with me." The priest said. Landon sighed and dropped to his knees in front of the priest, planning to go through whatever torture this was going to be with his brother. Katelyn was about to do the same when Hector spoke up. 

"Katelyn, Landon, you can leave now. It's okay, we can take it from here." 

"We're good, Hector." Landon replied with a tight smile. 

Maria walked over to Landon, setting a hand on his shoulder as she spoke softly to the two teens. "This between your foster brother and God, okay?" 

Landon and Katelyn looked at each other but still made no move to leave. Rafael turned towards them. "Hey, I got it, guys. Just wait outside." The two gave him a look before leaving reluctantly.